Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

peeling in rim

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default peeling in rim

I have an original set of Firehawk chrome rims that have some peeling going on in the inside of the rim. They are chrome so I can't just paint the whole wheel & I am unsure what exactly is on the inside (paint, chrome ??). Suggestions on how to get whatever is on there off and what to repaint or recoat it with?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carguyshu
I have an original set of Firehawk chrome rims that have some peeling going on in the inside of the rim. They are chrome so I can't just paint the whole wheel & I am unsure what exactly is on the inside (paint, chrome ??). Suggestions on how to get whatever is on there off and what to repaint or recoat it with?
If it is chrome and its peeling its pretty much a done deal. The inner barrels of factory wheels are usually a sand cast finish and over time you will find more and more bits of flaking chrome coming off.

Some sand the inside of the wheel to remove most of the failing chrome (wear a mask) and just paint it black to "Hide" the imperfections for the time being. Other then re-chroming the wheel the only other option is replacing it.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

replacing it really isn't an option since these wheels aren't made anymore. They appear black on the inside so I'm not sure if the whole thing is chromed or just the face
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

either way it looks pretty bad right now

Quick Reply: peeling in rim