Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Body guys, how much to get something like this fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body guys, how much to get something like this fixed

Damn, I hate winter. Had a sheet of ice in the driveway, one good slip on the ice into the car =
This sucks, I just finished getting the car to running again and pow now I have a huge dent.
How much is something like this going to cost
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look into finding someone who does paintless dent repair in your area....my father does that kind of work around my area and it's a lot cheaper then taking it to a body shop to have the dent taken out.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

That dent looks like it going to need to go to a body shop. Hard to tell by the pic how bad it is but from what I see 6-8 hours repair on the dent, paint quarter, blend door and remove and reinstall door handle,lock cylinder, trim panel, belt molding and rear lamp. depending on labor rate in your area 34-44 an hour plus tax. anywhere from 600-1000. My best guess
Old 02-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

That's in no way a dent. It looks to me that you need to replace the quarter panel.

P/N: 12512751

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

GM LIST: $522.81
OUR PRICE: $308.46
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Eastwood Tools has some really nice metal finishing hammers to take care of stuff like this. A steady hand and a good deal of patience can fix that for you. If the paint is not cracked or chipped, you might be able to do it yourself.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above, your probably going to need a whole new quarter panel + cost of paint/prep and install. It's not gonna be dirt cheap that's for sure. It is hard to tell how bad it is from a picture online though.

Bottom line, there's no easy way out of it..

Rob
Old 02-04-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, try hammering the bitch out first
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
dude, try hammering the bitch out first
I agree. At the very least, you won't be any worse off than you were before. Metal repair is easier than it looks. It isn't easy, but its not too difficult if you have a steady hand, good aim, and a LOT of patience.

Body guys, this is not a slam on your profession! PLEASE don't flame me to a well-done crisp!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I figured 2500 at the most I am no body man, but I would have to agree with the ones who said "new fender" what an awful two words to hear about your pride and joy. The dent is right into the wheel well lip. A nice big crease. The big dent is about an 1 1/2 deep and the small "top" dent is about 1 inch deep. So you guys that weigh in at 220lbs like me, stay away from your car if there is ice by it lol.
Here is a better pic.

The paint also "ripped" at the top of the big dent
If I new I had a good chance to smooth the dent out myself I would but I don't even know how to smooth out the crease in the wheel well lip. The other dents don't look like a problem to hammer out with a dolly and some patience, then I could have a bodyman fill the imperfections and respray it. Damn it.
I wonder if I can get my insurance to cover this
Thanks all,
Jeremy
Old 02-05-2004, 12:28 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

You need to find a bodyshop that has an oldtimer that knows how to restore the quarter panel to it's original shape. These cars dent real easy, a few years ago while trying to tighten one of the lugnuts the tire iron slipped and my face fell into the driver's side quarter and the bridge of my nose put a nice round dent in it.

Now stop trying to tackle the car!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe you made a dent like that by falling on the car. I wouldn't file it on Insurance. It could make your rates go up and once you have a few claims they might cancel your Ins. They might not be there when you really need them. Just my .02
Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyways, I definitely believe that quarter is repairable
take it to a body shop if your not up for it, they can bang it out as best as possible and use a little filler to smooth it out

I gotta start on mine soon, I had a treebranch land on the same quarterpanel on my car, except on top of it. Left 4 dents in it.
I'm gonna borrow a $20 metal shaping kit, bang em out, and go to town with the bondo, and probably drive around with a primed panel for a few years
Old 02-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
That's in no way a dent. It looks to me that you need to replace the quarter panel.

P/N: 12512751

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

GM LIST: $522.81
OUR PRICE: $308.46
You'll probaly need a new part. Not cost efficent to fix it when you can buy it new for the same price or a little more.

No friggin way is it gonna cost 2500.00

Insurance.... ahhh, the bastards who love it when you pay but hate it when you need them to pay. I have a few tricks but whatever. I'd get the part new and find a really good shop that can match paint very well.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:51 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'd say it will cost you around $550 with the price of that fender. You don't have any buddies at body shops? Or maybe you have a buddy, whos buddy is a body man? Something to help with the cost a bit, and you'll be around that price.

Rob
Old 02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Richie Carbone "Tackle My Car" LMFAO Guess I was just frustrated with the whole s/c cog dilema and bashed the car a good one.

I wish I new a bodyman, I would be there in a second. Man I can't stand leaving my car anywhere. Especially with the s/c, New engine and the way the car sounds......I just keep seeing the ferris bueller scene of the Ferrari jumping through the air and that being my car. I took it to the dealer awhile back for a recall on the egr valve and when I went to pick it up. I heard the car being revved to high hell but they denied it was my car that I heard revving.

I am glad you guys think it won't be much to fix. Time to head out for some estimates.
J
Old 02-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

If u take that to a body shop and they say they need to put a quarter on it, instead of fixing it then they dont know what the hell there doin! Grind the paint off take a stud gun to it and pull it back out paint it and blend it into the door, and call it a day
Old 02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Testify, Craig!

A reputable body shop can fix it without replacement. The good places can deal with almost anything short of running your panels through a wood chipper.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Two things...
Our rear quarters are soft as freakin hell. I had a similar problem closing the door in my icy inclined driveway. I kinda lost balance and my elbow landing a little higher than your problem area there. Well it dented. Paintless dent repair took care of it perfectly. It was small though. Your dent is definitely too big, they could try though.
Second, my friend hit a car sideways at like 120 (don't ask) and basically demolished the rear quarter and his bro's shop fixed the panel without using a new one! Either that's a filler nightmare or some damn good work. I still can't tell that the panel was smashed beyond belief.

Good luck with the repair
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

OMFG, you fell on your car. Sorry man, but that's just funny. You must of hit it just perfect to cause a huge dent like that.

Quick Reply: Body guys, how much to get something like this fixed