Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thumbs down Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? HELP!!!

Okay so I recently had the car painted back in May, it's been VERY well taken care of since it was painted. Waited about a month and a half before waxing. It's been kept up with Blackfire Paint sealant and I hand wash it weekly using two bucket method and Blackfire car soap. I go over every inch of the car when I wash it and I know that these bubbles have occured within the last week and a half. I called the shop that painted it today and he promised to call back as he was busy with another call. Surprise, surprise, he never called back. Now before I throw this "unnamed for now" shop under the bus, I want to what exactly might be the cause of these bubbles. It has been raining here in CA for the past week, could all the moisture be the cause? Will they go away? I'm pissed because I take care of this thing ridiculously well and spent hard earned cash on a paint job from a reputable shop and now this. It makes me sick. Oh and the bubbles are on both front fenders by where it curves to blend with the mirrors, both rear quarters, on the passenger door and I'm sure more will show up. Please post any thoughts or ideas! What a shitty day....

Bubbles:

Some pics I took today, safe to say I take care of the car very well...

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 12-24-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics
please
Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did you get a warranty with the paint job? If so take it back, if not take it back to them anyway. Whatever is going on sounds like its not your fault.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a little search online and this is what I found.

Small bubbles over the surface of a paint job are frustrating and sometimes difficult to remove. The best way to prevent these bubbles from occurring at all is to make sure the surface of the metal is clean, the paint is thinned to proper consistency and each coat is thoroughly dried between coats of paint. Small patches of bubbles can be fixed, but large patches are much harder

Sounds like he might have not prepped it properly. I'd take it back and have a word with him.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll try to post up some pics as soon as I can. The paint comes with a lifetime warranty, the only problem is the shop is about 5 hours away in San Diego. I took the car to them because of the good rep from members here on tech. If they don't make it right, I'm sure they are gonna lose a whole lot more money from the people that will read the thread I'll start. So any ideas on why thi would happen to the paint after so long????
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

I would assume paint it like concrete. You can pour concrete and it will dry and look perfect. After a few weeks/months, you will start to see holes from where bubbles hid under the surface.

It could be either of the things that I listed in my first post. If the surface wasn't prepped properly, then it might take awhile for the imperfections to show through since the paint still has to "cure".
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pics are up... Really bummed out now because after washing the car today I found more patches of tiny bubbles everywhere. Fenders by mirrors, rear quarters, both doors, back bumper, front bumper, hood..... Not a happy camper. I'll be calling that shop Monday morning to see what they are going to do to make it right. Now question is, they are going to have to strip everything and start fresh right?????
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

i was told not to wax my car for 3months after i got it painted, i dont know if that is your issue or not though
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

The guy told me to give it one month to cure so I waited a month and a half.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

ive got the same story but not as bad...a friend told me about a guy who does a great job for cheap... told me i could wax in 1 month but i heard 3 so i waited 4 lol but after 2 months the paint was wearing off and bubbles poped up in the places where filler was used so i tried to get ahold of him and no answer even after like 100 phone calls and messages. so i will be fixing it myself this summer...but someone told me it was caused by the filler not being cured all the way before the paint was applied. whatever it was im going to fix it myself like i should have done in the first place.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a variety of things - bad prep, failing to degrease, rushed while spraying, poor flash time, or not thinned enough... All point back to the bodyshop
Old 12-24-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VinR1
Could be a variety of things - bad prep, failing to degrease, rushed while spraying, poor flash time, or not thinned enough... All point back to the bodyshop
Sounds like you know a thing or two about paint. What would you say the shop has to do in order to resolve the problem? I'm sure I'm going to get the run around, if I do I'll make sure that people know what to expect and cost that shop WAY more money then if they were to do the right thing and fix my car. Hope it doesn't come to that, but when I spend my hard earned money I expect to get what I pay for. I'm not just gonna rollover on this one. I'm sure all of you can relate.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

If you know what brand the materials are you may be able to get a manufacturer's representative to look at it and comment. You can reach one through a body shop supply store that sells the brand. That information could put you in a better position when discussing it with the shop that did the work. If a paint rep tells you that their opinion is insufficient flash time between coats (or moisture in the air lines or whatever) you will be in a much stronger position to negotiate with the painter. Good luck, this has got to hurt.

Kerry P
Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it back. They did not do a very good job at the prep of the car.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

whoever painted your car didnt know what the **** they were doing
Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davey G
whoever painted your car didnt know what the **** they were doing
Well straight to the point, I'll be sure to show them this thread and your post if I get any grief, haha.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Elvis, I'm sorry to see this man! I know how much love you've put into this car. I hope they fix it!!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea that sucks....I know paint gasses out for a while after its sprayed...could be some kind a adverse reaction...

Either way they should fix it..It is pretty obvious that you take good care of the car and this is in no way caused by your neglect...

Good luck and keep us posted...

Matt
Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Elvis, I'm sorry to see this man! I know how much love you've put into this car. I hope they fix it!!
Thanks Jeff, I hope they fix it too! How'd the trip up to the snow go? I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks to kpeterson who suggested finding the paint manufacturer and having them look at it. If there are any other ideas or thoughts please post them up!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I replied in your other thread, but if its the shop in San Diego that I think it is (that paints a lot of vettes), Im sure they'll stand behind their work, but it will take some patience. Like others said, their paint rep will probably get involved too. Sometimes with large temperature flucuations paint can do funny things if it isn't prepped right.

Quick Reply: Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? HELP!!!