Sponsored by: DashLynx

DETAILED: Tesla Model S Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DETAILED: Tesla Model S Prototype

So here it is... the main event.

Tesla reached out to us recently for some help getting their prototype Model S ready for an unveiling/press event at their Boulder Colorado showroom, definitely not the kind of request you take lightly when you consider this car is essentially priceless. Billions in research and years of work have gone into this car and its one of one!! We were absolutely honored by the request and had a lot of fun with this car. Being a prototype mock up there were some things we had to work around. The car for example hasn't been tested to be water tight so a traditional wash was out of the question and not being built to 'road ready' production specs we wanted to take the every caution, being careful not to damage anything.

We started by vacuuming out the interior and then doing a complete waterless wash of the exterior. Each panel was saturated with cleaner and then wiped with a waterless wash waffle weave towel. 1 towel was used per panel.

The most staggering part was how bad the aluminum trim was. Adam spent a lot of time rubbing out every inch of it by hand using Metal Polish 1 & 2. The 4" white focus pad was used to address deeper scratches in the trim.

I took on the paint opting for the flex. There were some concerns about excessive vibrations on the car as its not a road ready production car the potential for loose panels or trim exists so the smooth operation of the flex seemed optimal. Most panels were easily corrected with 1 or 2 passes of the white pad with fine machine polish... a few required the orange pad + swirl & haze remover either via the flex or 4" focus pads and drill.

Once corrected the entire car, including the freshly polished trim, and wheels was treated to a coat of Brilliant Glaze by hand which was removed with single soft towels. That was then topped with 2 thin coats of Americana paste wax and removed double soft towels.

Adam spent some time polishing out the door sills (more aluminum) with Metal 1 & 2... then coated the entire door jamb and trunk surround with Brilliant Glaze.

The glass was cleaned inside and out with Glass Cleaner and Glass towels, then coated with Brilliant Glaze.

The interior was in relatively good shape, all that was needed was a wipe down with Leather & Interior Cleaner and a quick application of Leather & Interior Conditioner. The massive center stack touch screen control center was wiped with a fresh single soft towel and Detail Spray.

Last the tires and trim were dressed using Super VRT and In & Out Spray.

The car was rolled into the showroom where it was given a final inspection and any missed areas were touched up before a final detail spray wipe down.

Enjoy the video and pictures... still can't believe I got to buff this thing out - just one more reason I love my job.

Products Used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofb-2jbQAw&hd=1

Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

so this is the mysterious electric supercar I read so much about in the past? ... wow! Tesla really made a beauty, cant wait to see under the hood, I'm really curious if they met all their performance goals (or still plan to meet) haha X_X
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Launching!

The car looks a lot different than I remember. Maybe because everything I've seen has been the roadster model. Anyways- great job on the detail, looks flawless!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice job!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

was not expecting that; looks great. very cool photo op/story
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad the price is gonna be around $100K. You wont see many on the road. Only the hollywood tree huggers can afford it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

I cant wait to start reading the reviews on this thing.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

That is a badass looking ride!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

great work
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can put down $5,000 now to lock one in, I almost did 8 months ago. The total price was around $52,000 IIRC.

Me and my friend took their Tesla Roadster for about a 2 hour ride through Lauderdale.

They lie about their Roadster. No way in sam hell can it do 3.5 0-60...not even close. Best one I could do with just me in the car was right at 6 seconds, thats with a full charge right when we left the place and in sport mode.

I want a Model S, but after they are out for a year or so. It looks sweet.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i cant wait for mine!!!! I ordered one almost 2 years ago!!!!!!! I got the anniversary in the color pictured here. Im so gay for this car!

Did you guys get to drive it? Or even move it around? One thing i dont like is how the center display doesnt quite fit where it is, it kinda looks smooshed in there.

Overall impression being in and around the car?

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
Too bad the price is gonna be around $100K. You wont see many on the road. Only the hollywood tree huggers can afford it.
100k is roadster territory. My special addition with the 350 mile battery total was under $60k. And i drive 160 miles a day so if i can get that out of a single charge which should cost around $2, it would save me more than enough seeing as how i spend $25 a day on gas now. Just for work driving. I also drive to San Francisco every week for school which is 240 miles round trip.

You can also have a 480 Volt outlet installed and you can charge your battery %80 in 45 minutes.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn nice looking ride. And damn nice detail!!!!!!!!!! Good work.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Daaaamn. Nice job that thing looks great!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, nothing speaks volumes about your business better than landing such a prestigious client and project. Good going!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Wow, nothing speaks volumes about your business better than landing such a prestigious client and project. Good going!
Man , thats what I'm sayin
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks good and great detail work.

Quick Reply: DETAILED: Tesla Model S Prototype