Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Micro-Marring In Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro-Marring In Paint

I got all of my detailing stuff in today and thought I'd test it out on my stock hood I have in the garage. The car is a black '98 z28. Products used.. Poorboys SSR2.5, SSR1, black hole glaze, natty's blue wax, Lake County pads, PC 7424xp. The SSR1 didn't hardly touch the swirls, so I used an orange pad with the ssr2.5 at speed 5. This cleaned up the swirls very well but left some micro-marring as I expected. I then followed that up by the ssr1 with a green pad at speed 5. That cleaned it up a little more, but the marring was still there. I then used the ssr1 with a black pad on a different section and it looked the same as were I used the green. I applied the glaze which filled in a lot of the marring, but I'd still like to know how to get it out. Am I using too much polish? Not working it in long enough?..I worked it in pretty good though. Not the right products? This micro marring im talking about are very fine little hazy looking scratches. Can only be seen if you get close to the paint with a white LED flashlight shining on the paint. This was my first time using the PC, but have used a Cyclo for years. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, you might want to join over @ www.autopia.org and ask this same question there, maybe some of the pros over there can answer better, just saying.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Yeah I joined over at autogeeks' forum, just awaiting my activation to post the question. The paint on these cars are known for being hard correct?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

ok how many and what color pads did you get?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000ssowner
ok how many and what color pads did you get?
Lake County Pads, 1 orange, 1 green, 2 black
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

How big of an area are you working at one time? How much pressure are you using on the machine?

My guess is that you are working the SSR1 for too short a time, and possibly too fast. On a black pad, the SSR1 should finish down very nicely. Depending on how well you finish off the SSR2.5 and the orange, you might try using the 2.5 on a black pad first, but hard to tell without looking.

Yes, the clear on some of these cars can be extremely hard.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bullitt1672
Lake County Pads, 1 orange, 1 green, 2 black
What size of LC Pads?

6.5 is too large for the PC7424 - go with 5.5 or 4.

Also, get more than just one of each.

I would suggest, 3 Orange, 3 White and 3 Black or Blue. Having more than one will keep the pads fresh as you go over an entire vehicle.

The Pads also correspond with "cutting" ability, check out this chart:
http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buff...d-chart-lc.htm

You chose one "light cut" pad (orange), one "polishing/finishing" pad (green) and one "finishing" pad (black). The green did not have enough cut to reduce the micromarring.

It would be wise to match up your polish with the pads themselves.

Not knowing the condition (ie no pics) of your micro marring, my suggestion would be to get a light polish such as M205 and use it with a white pad.

Use the Orange pad with your heavy compound, white with the lighter compound/polish and black/blue to apply wax and or sealant. Though, as someone above suggested, go least aggressive first.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

wow you just covered on what I was going to reply lol.^^^ so op this should get you covered.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the reply's! Yes the pads are 6.5 but will look into the smaller ones. I'm used to a cycle so I wouldn't mind the smaller pads a bit. I'll for sure be going out and doing more test spots on the stock hood I have sitting in the garage before I start on the car. Like suggested, I'm going to work in the 2.5 and 1 a little longer. I'll also place an order for some white pads if I can't get it right with the orange.Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Micro-Marring In Paint