Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Something to Consider When Painting Intake Manifold..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Something to Consider When Painting Intake Manifold..

I painted my stock ls1 and my LS6 metallic silver and was about to start my LSX after I finished port matching it to my heads when something occured to me.

I dunno about you guys, but I use high heat clearcoat and stuff after painting to protect the paint I put on the intake. I guess what I have to say might matter even with normal paint.

Wouldn't the paint and or clearcoat cause heat soak issues compared to a non painted intake? I would think technically that it would because the paint, especially high heat stuff would trap the heat in instead of releasing it..

I love the look of the painted manifold(was going to match this one to the candy apple red at the front of my new flames) but if it were enough of a concern about robbing the car of power I'm going to pass with my LsX..

Wondering what all you guys think..wasn't sure which forum would be best for this one, so I picked appearence since its about painting, lol
Old 02-17-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the paint would insulate enough to be a factor.. im sure someone here with a degree in termal dynamics could clarify this

Also, high temp paint dosent insulate from heat it is just heat resistant (higher melting point).. a ceramic coating would insulate but not paint (i think thats how it works)
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I painted my stock ls1 and my LS6 metallic silver and was about to start my LSX after I finished port matching it to my heads when something occured to me.

I dunno about you guys, but I use high heat clearcoat and stuff after painting to protect the paint I put on the intake. I guess what I have to say might matter even with normal paint.

Wouldn't the paint and or clearcoat cause heat soak issues compared to a non painted intake? I would think technically that it would because the paint, especially high heat stuff would trap the heat in instead of releasing it..

I love the look of the painted manifold(was going to match this one to the candy apple red at the front of my new flames) but if it were enough of a concern about robbing the car of power I'm going to pass with my LsX..
Wondering what all you guys think..wasn't sure which forum would be best for this one, so I picked appearence since its about painting, lol
actualy, i think it is opposite. the composite intake dose not conduct that much heat, and the air is cool flowing through the intake, so the paint, you want ceramic paint, will reflect the out side heat from soaking through to the
cool intake charge.
so you were realy helping, not hurting.
hope that helps
Old 02-17-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're worrying too much. Even if it did create heat soak it may only slow you down by .000000000000001 in the quarter mile. Not to be mean but if you're really that concerned about your trap times, you'll get more out of giving up french fries and losing a pound or two.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Motorboater

haha..i'm skinny so not too worried.

no such thing as worrying too much IMO, i wouldn't have spent good money on all the suspension and everything i have if i didn't care about getting the most out of my setup..hell, wouldn't have bought this intake for that matter..
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Motorboater

oh and thanks for the replies..guess i might have been looking at it slightly skewed, makes sense now.

guess i'll go ahead and paint the sucker
Old 02-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
oh and thanks for the replies..guess i might have been looking at it slightly skewed, makes sense now.

guess i'll go ahead and paint the sucker
good idea!,looks awsome, and it will mostlikely help intake temps

Quick Reply: Something to Consider When Painting Intake Manifold..