Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I hate my plain hood!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I hate my plain hood!

I just did a quick cleaning of my '99 Z28 and the more I look at it, the more I hate the plain look of the hood. Aftermarket hoods are out of the question since I'm too cheap plus they seem a little over the top on a car with a stock engine. I'm not a stripe fan but I just went through a bunch of threads to get some idea of maybe putting stripes on it, but nothing really looked right with the stock hood. The 35th Anny stripe is a little too much with the flag-end. I think a 2010 Camaro Rallye style stripe that only goes on the hood might look good. Otherwise, I don't see any real choices except maybe the GS stripe on the fender.

Ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain man. I dont think there too over the top though cause after all the cars are fast as **** anyways, but dishing out that $ for just appearence... Ive thought about doing the rally stripes too. By the way your car is really clean. LPM for life! haha
Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I just did a quick cleaning of my '99 Z28 and the more I look at it, the more I hate the plain look of the hood. Aftermarket hoods are out of the question since I'm too cheap plus they seem a little over the top on a car with a stock engine. I'm not a stripe fan but I just went through a bunch of threads to get some idea of maybe putting stripes on it, but nothing really looked right with the stock hood. The 35th Anny stripe is a little too much with the flag-end. I think a 2010 Camaro Rallye style stripe that only goes on the hood might look good. Otherwise, I don't see any real choices except maybe the GS stripe on the fender.

Ideas?
Don't be cheap. That's how cars transform into rice (cheapo HIDs, unpainted panels, tacky things in general).
Just keep an eye out for a used SS hood in your color, if you don't want to spend the money on a new one & paint.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why im glad i got my Sunoco hood for 200 lol
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Don't be cheap. That's how cars transform into rice (cheapo HIDs, unpainted panels, tacky things in general).
Just keep an eye out for a used SS hood in your color, if you don't want to spend the money on a new one & paint.
I hear ya, but I'm not talking about rattle canning the hood or something like that. As you can tell, I actually prefer the stock look in general, with just a few tasteful accents like clear corners. It's just that the hood is just TOO plain.

As far as the SS hood, I thought about that, but for some reason it doesn't look right without the SS spoiler. If I had the money, I might get a low cowl hood, but again, seems kind of over the top with a stock engine.

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Ive thought about doing the rally stripes too. By the way your car is really clean. LPM for life! haha
Thanks. It's in very good shape considering the miles. One thing I found out is that it's harder to get a good pic compared to my previous silver car.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Lower it, put wheels on it and maybe some tint. It goes a long way...I don't mind my plain hood anymore
Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I hear ya, but I'm not talking about rattle canning the hood or something like that. As you can tell, I actually prefer the stock look in general, with just a few tasteful accents like clear corners. It's just that the hood is just TOO plain.

As far as the SS hood, I thought about that, but for some reason it doesn't look right without the SS spoiler. If I had the money, I might get a low cowl hood, but again, seems kind of over the top with a stock engine.

Thanks. It's in very good shape considering the miles. One thing I found out is that it's harder to get a good pic compared to my previous silver car.

What does your stock engine have to do with your appearance? Your car's no different then a SS model, your just missing the appearance upgrades. Is it over the top that SS models have the appearance and are stock from factory just like yours? You dont need any mods to put on a spoiler/hood. Thinking like that is whats gonna keep your stock hood on the car and you not liking the look anymore then you do now.

Work at it piece by piece, add some tint. Maybe a billet grille and you'll start liking the look of your car even more. Being cheaps not gonna get you the things you want and you'll still wont be happy with the look.

I see plenty of z28's locally with SS hoods and no spoiler. My z28 was the opposite of that, had SS spoiler and no aftermarket hood on it at all. I liked the look of mine and some of those z28's, it gives the car a new look. There's alot of ppl out there that like to start with appearance mods 1st, then performance 2nd. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited by Badguy7; 03-19-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badguy7
What does your stock engine have to do with your appearance? Your car's no different then a SS model, your just missing the appearance upgrades. Is it over the top that SS models have the appearance and are stock from factory just like yours? You dont need any mods to put on a spoiler/hood. Thinking like that is whats gonna keep your stock hood on the car and you not liking the look anymore then you do now.

I see plenty of z28's locally with SS hoods and no spoiler. My z28 was the opposite of that, had SS spoiler and no aftermarket hood on it at all. I liked the look of mine and some of those z28's, it gives the car a new look. There's alot of ppl out there that like to start with appearance mods 1st, then performance 2nd. Nothing wrong with that at all.
You make some good points, especially about the SS. I'm an old school guy and I used to hate seeing guys with big hood scoops with little bitty engines. Used to be if you had a hole or bump on a hood, it was for a reason. Old habits die hard.

I don't think I've ever seen a Camaro with a SS hood and stock spoiler - not that I've looked really hard. Pewter is a pretty common color so if I did see one for a good price, I'd probably pick it up, but I was just thinking of a GOOD, inexpensive way to change the look.

BTW, after reading a few threads, I guess the GS stripe has "played" out, but I think it looks good; not saying I'd go that route.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

If I were to do it again id get a sunoco hood, as I love the way they look. When I bought my car the guy had put on the worst chinese knockoff ss hood you could get and it bugged me a ton as looked complete crap even 10 meters away, ended up getting an ss original hood black same as my car for 450. i would check out the used section, or consider saving. Was definetly worth the money though as it made me like the car that much more. I actually got the hood before fixing my rear end which still whines like a bitch, but starring at the hood was bugging me more and it was a good deal lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

The harwood hood is pretty sick also
Old 03-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'll sell you my SS hood
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
thats why im glad i got my Sunoco hood for 200 lol
did you get yours off of ebay? hoods4sale?
if so what did you do to fix your hood, because mine just came the other day and its a piece of crap!!
future buyers stay far away
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would do A Ultra Z Hood With The Black stripes, and a Mecham z29r spoiler.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Captain Double Post

I wouldn't do any stripes on your car man,looks clean just how it is,agree with lowering it,then a nice set of wheels,I hate spending money on appearance crap also,but I finally gave in for a few things,I'm glad I did car looks 10x better

Quick Reply: I hate my plain hood!