Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are some cheap or free mods for my engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some cheap or free mods for my engine bay?

or even for anything else, I have a 2000 Trans AM I just pulled the motor. and I want to make it look better and I have seen some of you guys hiding the wires etc.. Anything would help guys! Thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

Try searching for writeups on how to remove certain things, if you decide you can do without them. You can take out the AIR system, on 00-02 cars remove the EGR, remove the TCS/ASR module if you have it, relocate the battery, some put the fuse boxes down below where they are now, move passenger side wire mess under the fender. Also, you can buy some stainless pieces for the engine bay from emblempros.com
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^ what he said. all my stainless is from emblempros.com. also done the wire mod on the passenger side fender, air/egr removed and hood latch cable relocated on the drivers fender. only thing missing is my ecthed battery cover.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything that was mentioned above, plus doing the driver's side wire mod (hood latch cable), removing the windshield washer tank, polishing AC and brake lines, and spray painting everything.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Traction Control module RELOCATION, PCM relocation, EVAP line delete, relocate ground wire out of sight and +1 on removing and painting items. A good deep cleaning will help looks too. And don't forget re-wrapping wires with fresh loom or even the woven loom. Battery relocation costs a little money. You'll need a long length of 1 or 0 gauge wire, a battery try, battery hold-down and nuts & bolts to mount it. I put mine on a plastic tray where the spare tire was. I drilled holes in the floor there and bolted it down. Gotta pull out some interior plastic to hide the wire nicely.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I guess it goes without mention that inoperable windshield washers will fail most state inspections. and safety inspections aren't free re-try's. Then again, if you're removing all the smog equip then you either have a hook up or aren't getting it inspected anyway.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, what did yall paint egzactly? I was thinking about painting my stock manifold black and red stripes and possibly my block, heads, etc. Did you paint the firewall and fenderwell things? Also what are the positives and negatives with removing the egr, I plan on putting a nice set of headers on in the future with a cat delete. So any more help in that area would be awesome.

And lastly where did you find your fuel rail covers? Thanks again fellas

Last edited by fire120ball; 03-30-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fire120ball
Thanks guys, what did yall paint egzactly? I was thinking about painting my stock manifold black and red stripes and possibly my block, heads, etc. Did you paint the firewall and fenderwell things? Also what are the positives and negatives with removing the egr, I plan on putting a nice set of headers on in the future with a cat delete. So any more help in that area would be awesome.

And lastly where did you find your fuel rail covers? Thanks again fellas
alot of the sponsors on here have the FRC's (fuel rail covers)

the pro's and con's to EGR=
+less weight
+less engine bay ****
+no recirculated burnt exhaust going back into intake
-failing emissions test (if you have one in your area)

if your thinking about getting headers, now would be a good time to remove the EGR. removal of the EGR is a no-brainer to me, if you dont have the emission tests.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

there's more cons to removing EGR than just failing an emissions test. And the weight is a BS pro, the egr system is insignificant. Removing it is an aesthetic modification only and usually requires retuning to compensate fully. (though no amount of tuning will "replace" it, just remove errors and adjust fuel tables that assumed it was in use). There's no point in wasting time removing it unless your engine bay is in car shows and it really bothers you that much.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fire120ball
Thanks guys, what did yall paint egzactly?
Everything

Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by safemode
there's more cons to removing EGR than just failing an emissions test. And the weight is a BS pro, the egr system is insignificant.
what other cons are there? weight is a bullshit pro?..every little bit counts. if the EGR system is "insignificant" then why care to post things that will make the OP want to keep it?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Everything
Looks sick!

the egr system is insignificant.
Then why keep it if you don't need to worry about emissions testing?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Wire mod and relocating the coil packs and touching up the paint on things
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS9 Formula
^^^^ what he said. all my stainless is from emblempros.com. also done the wire mod on the passenger side fender, air/egr removed and hood latch cable relocated on the drivers fender. only thing missing is my ecthed battery cover.

those corvette coil covers look sick, i wanna do something like that you do it yourself?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

yeah man i started with a set of covers that was already cut. and then did all the work myself. this was my first time doing this type of work and it was easier then it looks. this is the link i went by.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ting-frcs.html

don't forget heat tape, it will take rolls to cover both completely
Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s25hanh
what other cons are there? weight is a bullshit pro?..every little bit counts. if the EGR system is "insignificant" then why care to post things that will make the OP want to keep it?
the weight is insignificant. You might as well consider driving without shoes or the rear deck cover in the car. compared to what EGR does do, yes, calling it a pro to reduce a lb or so is BS. If you're at the level where 1 lb matters anywhere you can get it, then you wouldn't be on here asking about how to make things look good.

The EGR system cools combustion temps down during cruising. This minimizes Nox and allows you to use less fuel and increases the life of exhaust valves. Basically this is a good thing, not just for the environment but also for the longevity of your car's top end.

It also allows the throttle body to open further to compensate for the reduced air flow (due to exhaust gas taking up space). This means when you do floor it the throttle plate is open more already and EGR cuts off, leading to less power lost to the dramatic change in pressure caused by large sudden changes in throttle plate position.

there is no con to having your EGR on except an aesthetic one if you are so inclined. Modern EGR's like those in our cars dont suffer from the issues of first gen ones. And EGR in general has absolutely nothing to do with idle or OT operation and performance as it's disabled at those times.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Unless im crazy my car didnt come with egr so i fail to see how removing it on ones that did will negatively impact anything.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

it's easily possible they didn't put EGR in for reasons other than efficiency or performance related. Maybe you get good enough emissions that you dont need it.. Maybe you have other means of achieving the same purpose of an EGR. Maybe you have it and just dont recognize it. Not saying it's going to make a noticeable change in performance, but it does make a noticeable change in emissions and there is absolutely no benefit in taking it off other than personal preference.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

EGR saves the unicorns and lillypad frogs, duh.

The last years of the Fbodies modified the cam specs to do away with the EGR unlike the earlier 4th gen that had a different cam. Doing away with it does not hurt the car in anyway and I'm sorry but I don't want burnt exhaust gases taking place of fuel/air in my cylinders, personal preference. I don't cruise either, my foot is either down on the pedal or hard on the brake, so I don't give two craps about fuel mileage, especially when it's a weekend car. DD and don't go to car shows, then leave it. At least chop the EGR post sticking into the intake, disrupting airflow.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

the weight is insignificant. You might as well consider driving without shoes or the rear deck cover in the car. compared to what EGR does do, yes, calling it a pro to reduce a lb or so is BS. If you're at the level where 1 lb matters anywhere you can get it, then you wouldn't be on here asking about how to make things look good.

The EGR system cools combustion temps down during cruising. This minimizes Nox and allows you to use less fuel and increases the life of exhaust valves. Basically this is a good thing, not just for the environment but also for the longevity of your car's top end.

It also allows the throttle body to open further to compensate for the reduced air flow (due to exhaust gas taking up space). This means when you do floor it the throttle plate is open more already and EGR cuts off, leading to less power lost to the dramatic change in pressure caused by large sudden changes in throttle plate position.

there is no con to having your EGR on except an aesthetic one if you are so inclined. Modern EGR's like those in our cars dont suffer from the issues of first gen ones. And EGR in general has absolutely nothing to do with idle or OT operation and performance as it's disabled at those times.
damn, well i just got showed up.

Quick Reply: What are some cheap or free mods for my engine bay?