Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...

Alright guys, I graduate college in a month and have landed a job. For the longest time I have wanted to splurge on Zaino but time after time I have convinced myself that my money would be better spent elsewhere. Now that I will have decent money rolling in I figured it was just about that time! I took a little hiatus from all my forums (about 2 years worth) but recently I have had more free time on my hands and I appear to be back ...But in the past few days that I have been back I have heard bad things about the new formula Zaino has been using and I just wanted to get your opinions on it. I would spend hours upon hours detailing my vehicles at home (using basic products trying to get the best results I could) but while I have been at school I have slacked on my truck (my dd) and I am pretty sure I will also splurge on a porter cable. I would like to get pretty serious about this. Before I just start buying pads (I have done a little research) and other equipment I was just wondering what is your setup? What cutting agents (polishes), waxes and other products are you using? Are you using a sealant instead? What products have you used and disliked? Fill me in.

Last edited by LT1_Hawk; 04-04-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

meguiars nxt 2.0, I LOVE it.

Cant go wrong with Zaino though, just out of my budget.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Just bought me a PC kit from Autogeek. Got the Megs twins with some Wolfgang Sealant and Nattys Red Paste wax. Ordered it 2 months ago and still havent used it on my car tho, but I did use it a little bit on my old spoiler and it works pretty damn well.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got the PC 7424xp a while back and i used Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with their glaze as a second step. The TSR with a LC orange pad works amazing. I've also used Meguiars Ultimate Compound with impressive results. Next time I detail my car, I think I will use the same products with Wolfgang sealant under a wax as a last step. IMO some kindof machine polisher is a must have when detailing to remove swirls because the smoother the paint the glossier the paint.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Good call on the PC... best money you can spend on car care supplies. Our 15% off sale ends today, so not sure if you're ready to pull the trigger, but use the code SPRING2011 if you decide to go with our stuff:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-568-a...isher-kit.aspx

Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

PC is the miracle tool. Very cheap for what you get vs what it does. I have been using Adam's products for a little while now and love them.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

There are 2 excellent PC kits at Autogeek.

1. Best for Fbody/Vette/hard clears:
PC kit with 5.5" pads
LC pads orange, white, black (flat pads, not CCS ones. just call and ask, they will do it)
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
Menzerna 106FA "Nano"
These polishes are designed for ceramic based clear (very hard) and cut exceptionally well and finish down astonishly well. My fav combo.

2. Best all-around kit for average/hard clears (more capable on hard clears with practice)
PC kit with 5.5" pads
LC pads orange, white, black (flat pads, not CCS ones. just call and ask, they will do it)
Meguiars 105
Meguiars 205

Though myself and a few others have been having MINOR difficulties removing Zaino Z2pro or Z5pro, there isn't a new formula, officially. According to Zaino, nothing has changed. Still Zaino is an excellent product and has amazing durability. To answer the inevitable question of which ones to get because there are so many and its confusing.... this kit: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-1

You're also gonna need proper washing and drying habits. Start washing with the 2 bucket method with a quality mitt. Also drying the car with quality microfiber towels. And caring for your microfiber towels properly.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
There are 2 excellent PC kits at Autogeek.

1. Best for Fbody/Vette/hard clears:
PC kit with 5.5" pads
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
Menzerna 106FA "Nano"
These polishes are designed for ceramic based clear (very hard) and cut exceptionally well and finish down astonishly well. My fav combo.

2. Best all-around kit for average/hard clears (more capable on hard clears with practice)
PC kit with 5.5" pads
Meguiars 105
Meguiars 205

Though myself and a few others have been having MINOR difficulties removing Zaino Z2pro or Z5pro, there isn't a new formula, officially. According to Zaino, nothing has changed. Still Zaino is an excellent product and has amazing durability. To answer the inevitable question of which ones to get because there are so many and its confusing.... this kit: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-1

You're also gonna need proper washing and drying habits. Start washing with the 2 bucket method with a quality mitt. Also drying the car with quality microfiber towels. And caring for your microfiber towels properly.
Everything this man has said...listen to it. What one combo works well for someone else, may not be the best for your car. I will agree that the M twins are a good thing to have, but I've come across a few cars that didn't want anything to do with them and I ended up getting better results with something a little less abbrasive. Just remember that ANYTHING you touch your car with has the possibility to marr or scratch your paint so always ensure it is clean and you're paying attentiong to what you're doing.

Lastly, prep is everything. Clay the car before buffing. Spend the extra time to tape off all rubber/vinyl to ensure you don't sling any product where it's not needed.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Thank you
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

These two guys, GoFast908Z and BadCompany VP WS6 have given you some great advice.

The only thing I would add is don't get caught up in the latest and greatest craze. Pick a few good products and learn how to use them well, before you start experimenting with every new product that comes out. You need to learn what you are doing, and how to achieve great results, and you can't learn that if you are constantly switching products. Proper prep and technique are the key.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gipraw
These two guys, GoFast908Z and BadCompany VP WS6 have given you some great advice.

The only thing I would add is don't get caught up in the latest and greatest craze. Pick a few good products and learn how to use them well, before you start experimenting with every new product that comes out. You need to learn what you are doing, and how to achieve great results, and you can't learn that if you are constantly switching products. Proper prep and technique are the key.

Agree'd!

Application technique and how you manage the buffer are important too.

I'd recommend you do some research of priming pads, how much to use on a given panel, speeds on the DA, and what pad works with what.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some must haves in a detailing arsenal (my opinion)

-Porter cable or Makita orbital and all proper pads
-Megs 105/205...all detailers should have this.
-Optimum PoliSeal (Great all-in-one product) Decent swirl removing ability, removes light oxidation, and seals the paint all in one application. I just picked this up last week and wish I would've discovered it earlier
-Megs APC (hands down, the most versatile priduct out there. You can reach for this for anything from carpets, to wheels/tires, jams, engine bays...and it will tackle anything from mild to harsh since it can be diluted.
-Optimum No Rinse- If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. Maintenance washes could never be easier! Plus it's a clay lube and detailer, super slick.

These are just a FEW of must haves for me, but they are top of the list. I get all of it from www.detailedimage.com it's a great site that always have something on sale. Shipping as always super fast and I've had nothing but good dealings. They also have guides to anything and everything you would ever want to know about detailing (product reviews, how-to, etc)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not one of these guys has steered you wrong. Listen to them!

Also, everyone complains about the price of Zaino but compare it to how little you use and how long it lasts and its pretty good! Ive had my bottle of AIO and a bottle of Z8 since spring of 2008. I've used half a bottle of AIO and just finished the Z8 and I've even been detailing other peoples cars with it!

Adams also has some amazing products. I love their detail spray and their glass cleaner is the best Ive ever used! I will try more of their stuff when I run out of the other. Its hard to just stick with one product with all the new stuff coming out but as mentioned above make sure you learn how to use it properly before jumping to something else!
There is tons of information on Adams website along with how-to videos along with autogeek.net

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

My PC has paid for itself over and over again. Get a name brand backing plate.....after my Meg's backing plate failed (3-4 years) I bought a generic one from the car show. It's a little bigger and has RUINED every pad it touches. Don't be cheap like me, spend the money on a quality backing plate.

Haven't heard one bad piece of advice on this thread yet, but I'll add a product. If you can get your hands on some Duragloss 105 sealant (they call it a polish, but has no abrasives) and Aquawax, you won't regret it. You can buzz over black plastic trim without worrying about it turning it white. Duragloss in my opinion is about 95% the perfomance of Zaino for half the price. Most Carquests and Napas carry it, atleast around here. Haven't had any experience with the new formulation of Zaino, my bottle's almost 5 years old but still works great. I've used alot of NXT 2.0 with good results.

My DD truck that sits outside 24/7 gets Zaino or Duragloss, the wife"s car gets Zaino, and the Z gets Clearcoat Red Moose Glaze and Natty's Blue paste wax. After the Glaze, the car was honestly a shade darker black. I should've taken side by side pics. Looks amazing, but not that durable. It sets inside all the time so no big deal.

Don't get caught up in the wax or sealant, 90% of the shine is the effort up to the LSP.

Last edited by ncsu602; 04-04-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good detailing info here. Surprised no one else has said this, so I will: Congrats on finishing school and getting yourself a nice job!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Some good detailing info here. Surprised no one else has said this, so I will: Congrats on finishing school and getting yourself a nice job!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Launching!

What About Griot's Garage? Their stuff looks nice and I'm thinking of ordering it myself. Their buffer is like the PC but supposedly better.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Listen to Gofast. IMO, everyone should have their Porter Cable, Megs 105 & 205, Menzerna SIP, and orange, white, and black Lake Country pads. I've been a loyal Zaino customer for the last couple of years.

Coming outside to see perfect water beads on a 6 month old coat is Congrats on landing a job man.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Coming outside to see perfect water beads on a 6 month old coat is Congrats on landing a job man.
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate what has been said and I have and will continue to look much of this stuff up and find out more information about it. I have also found some pretty good info on autopia.com. Also, thanks for the congrats.

I have a friend with a BEAUTIFUL 96 red ss and he swears by Zaino. One of the guys that really got me interested in it actually. A few years ago we had massive snow (& ice) storm after massive storm and he hadn't cleaned his car for about 4 months. I went with him to the car wash, he put $1 and used the rinse and was done. I was amazed. It looked like he had spent hours on it. That day my eyes really opened and I knew that was the product I wanted. All this fuzz about having to add the accelerator and it causing hazing and being difficult to remove kind of put me off. However, I have also heard people say it isn't that bad ect. I will probably give it a go on my DD before I try it on the hawk but again, I appreciate all the responses that have been left. There has been a lot of relevant, useful information. It will probably be mid-late June before I am able to bite the bullet and post results but I cannot wait. As school has been winding down my evenings (not spent with the woman) have been consumed by staying up until 4am reading or watching videos on porter cable techniques and supplies. I feel like it's Christmas time and I'm 5.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Just like with painting, you need good prep work and a clean surface to get an amazing final result. If you properly compound & polish out that surface beforehand, after you apply the Zaino you're just going to sit on the ground and stare at the car. Ask how I know.

That's one thing I miss about my red WS6 was the depth in the paint.. Anyway, I'm not as knowledgeable as Jeff and some of these guys but if you need some help shoot me a PM. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...