Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you use to black-out tail lights? Are halo head lights possible on F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use to black-out tail lights? Are halo head lights possible on F-Body?

Particularly a 96 Firebird.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Covers or VHT for the black-out. . . . not sure on the halo's
Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No covers for me, thanks.

I want a nice black tint. My friend tinted his tail lights with VHT and the finished product came out opaque looking. It didn't look shiny at all to me. I couldn't see my reflection on it at all. I don't know how else to describe the look.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
No covers for me, thanks.

I want a nice black tint. My friend tinted his tail lights with VHT and the finished product came out opaque looking. It didn't look shiny at all to me. I couldn't see my reflection on it at all. I don't know how else to describe the look.

I know what you mean, I can picture it now. With the VHT you have to do some work. A little wetsanding, and buy they're clearcoat as well to spray over the tint. That will fix the problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I think is the process for making the lights the way I want them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Get tailights
- get wet sandpaper (please tell me which) and sand the gloss of your tail light
- apply vht nite-shade
- let dry
- re apply for darker shade
- let dry
- apply clear coat

What does the clear coat do? Also I saw a video on youtube where the guy uses paint thinner. I can link you to the video but it's the most popular video regarding tinting tail lights.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure it's straight forward. If you want a really nice finish, wet sand between coats.

Halo headlights... not something you can buy. You'd have to custom make those.

Here's a nice detailed write up on how to tint your tails:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-how-tos.html
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Pretty sure it's straight forward. If you want a really nice finish, wet sand between coats.

Halo headlights... not something you can buy. You'd have to custom make those.

Here's a nice detailed write up on how to tint your tails:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-how-tos.html
I saw some 4x6 bulbs on ebay the other day. They must be fake then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw some 4x6 bulbs on ebay the other day. They must be fake then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...Q5fAccessories
Oh ya. I forgot you've got a 93-97.
Get those...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Here's what I think is the process for making the lights the way I want them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Get tailights
- get wet sandpaper (please tell me which) and sand the gloss of your tail light
- apply vht nite-shade
- let dry
- re apply for darker shade
- let dry
- apply clear coat

What does the clear coat do? Also I saw a video on youtube where the guy uses paint thinner. I can link you to the video but it's the most popular video regarding tinting tail lights.
That's what I did. I wetsanded with 800 or 1000 grit (I forget) initially then wiped it dry. Then apply an even coat of VHT and let it dry, then apply as many coats as you would like to make it as dark as you want. After doing so then wetsand again and apply 3-4 coats of clear coat to give it a better finish. Make sure to make even sprays of VHT and if you do mess up you can always wetsand it out and redo it. Practice on a spare set if you can just so you get a feel for it. And also make sure you take your time and don't rush it.

Altogether I think it takes maybe an hour or two max for it to be fully dry and reinstalled.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Couldn't have said it better. Main thing is, take your time. As for your friend, he either didn't do it right or didn't follow up with the clear coat and if he did, I doubt he wet sanded it and polished em out but I have been wrong before so don't hold me to it. For the Halo's, I wouldn't do it in any car with flip-up headlights. Doesn't look right to me or at least I've not seen any that do.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I never wetsanded mine since I never have done it before and didn't want to screw up my tails, so I just put a couple layers of VHT, then used clear. They were semi-shiny, wetsanding would have gotten them better of course. But if you don't have any clearcoat, well, the VHT will be rather dull.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please explain to me what wetsanding does.

From what I've seen and read on Youtube, wetsanding takes away the gloss. Wouldn't wetsanding after applying the VHT product remove the gloss as well?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes it does but as soon as you clear over that its glossy again. Its just to take out the ripples and imperfections out of the tint you sprayed on,,, it its pretty dust free,, skip the wetsand and just clear.
Even if you dont tint your tail lights, or markers,,, or whatever,, some wet sanding and clear coat on them will make em look like new. Other say mag/alum wheel polish works on just stock tail lights too but Ive never tryed it.

Quick Reply: What do you use to black-out tail lights? Are halo head lights possible on F-Body?