Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thoughts On 4 inch Wheelbase Stretch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thoughts On 4 inch Wheelbase Stretch

I'm building a new front suspension and moving the front axle forward for better weight distribution is an option. Mechanically it would be easy, but I have no clue as to how I could rework the fenders or even if it looks good. Looks okay to me. Here is a before and after Photoshop pic. Tell me what you think.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Simply from an asthetic standpoint, I don't like it. I know what you're trying to acheive, but I don't think it's working from a visual standpoint.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly when I looked at the second pic it took me a second to realize the differences. I like how subtle it is.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if 4" would even be noticable as far as handling, accelerating and braking?

It's still a pretty cool mod, though. Definetly unique.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it

should redistribute some of the engine's weight rearward so I would assume you'd feel a difference handling-wise
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Longer wheel base is going to be counterproductive for handling/cornering. Our turning radius is already around 40ft, that'd just add to it. The cars already run close to a 55/45 weight distribution as well.

You'd have to keep the engine in the same spot, so that'll require an extended k-member or a really interesting engine mount setup or just a full custom tubular k-member right off the bat.

Better way of achieving the balance without sacrificing turning radius/etc. is with lighter components up front and maybe move some of the ballast to the back if you don't have it all eaten up with a sound system already.

Tubular K-member and suspension components up front, relocate battery to rear or run a light weight battery up front. Fiberglass/CF hood up front, re-route front wiring harness and trim it to fit as it runs all the way around the engine bay.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

For those of us that are not able to immediately see the difference (like me ):

Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

as if the wheel base on these cars isn't long enough already. the 4ft bumpers don't help either.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Longer wheel base is going to be counterproductive for handling/cornering. Our turning radius is already around 40ft, that'd just add to it. The cars already run close to a 55/45 weight distribution as well.

You'd have to keep the engine in the same spot, so that'll require an extended k-member or a really interesting engine mount setup or just a full custom tubular k-member right off the bat.

Better way of achieving the balance without sacrificing turning radius/etc. is with lighter components up front and maybe move some of the ballast to the back if you don't have it all eaten up with a sound system already.

Tubular K-member and suspension components up front, relocate battery to rear or run a light weight battery up front. Fiberglass/CF hood up front, re-route front wiring harness and trim it to fit as it runs all the way around the engine bay.

^^^ x2
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, then lets focus on acceleration. My newer low profile tires just don't have the grip of my previous 315 drag radials. So I'd like to shift the weight distribution rearward as much as possible.
Yes, that's not a problem.
Correct again.
Battery and fuel cell will be in far rear. Already have Raptor hood. Wiring harness is already modded. Already have tubular nose section.

The big question for me is the aesthetics and how the hell I'll be able to shift the wheel well openings forward.
Originally Posted by scj
as if the wheel base on these cars isn't long enough already. the 4ft bumpers don't help either.
I like the long, low look a lot more than the boxy Mustang and new Camaro look.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-21-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like it, it looks sick.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dig it.
building a new fender is in the cards, might be able to get away with just cutting and fixing the front bumper and mounts for them.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I'd need to make some fiberglass fenders?

Quick Reply: Thoughts On 4 inch Wheelbase Stretch