Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Harness Bar question

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Harness Bar question

I dont know if im a minority in here by asking this question. Why does every harness bar ive seen require that the rear seat and seat belts be removed. My family enjoy my car for sunday drives so that is common and I have a kid. But i would like to be able to use my car to do some road courses maybe SCCA. Suspension wise already started upgrading, bought a pair of 6LE seats to keep my but in the chair but to go with a harness bar seats have to come out... to do a roll cage (good luck in someone getting in the back seat) Roll cage is also a little overkill for what im going for in this car... "Already have rollcaged race car(yes camaro)" So is there any alternatives that i may be missing or is my only option to go get something made.

Thanks for the read.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not understanding why it would matter (that it bolts in place of the seat belts)...

You would NOT want your family riding with a big metal bar 5" from their face so you're obviously going to have to take it out when they get in and then the seat belts go back in with one nut on each side...

Only other option I've heard of it bolting the harnesses to the floor somehow which is SUPER SUPER SUPER dangerous if you were ever in an accident (due to spinal compression, the harnesses need to be anchored about the same height as your shoulders, like with a rollbar or harness bar).
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Removing the rear belts assy for racing takes about 10 min and harness install another 10-15 min. Switch back to stock after racing.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

they make retractable racing seat belts... that might be your only safe option
Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Arent harness bars in general kind of unsafe? If you are running harnesses without a cage/roll bar, what if the roof collapses? Your body cant compress/move out of the way.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

If your autocrossing and only want something to keep you in the seat then a harnes bar is kind of perfect. Yes roll cage better but is it always necessary? I dont think so... and good point about it being in the rear passengers face.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We could also make a custom bar that just goes behind your seat...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteven
Removing the rear belts assy for racing takes about 10 min and harness install another 10-15 min. Switch back to stock after racing.
what he says. its really not that big of an issue if you need the back to be functional; 2 bolts and either hooking up the harness or 2 bolts and adjusting the stock belts is all it takes. Just leave the stock stuff in the car and the bottom of the belts still bolted in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harness Bar question