Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Vinyl Removal?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vinyl Removal?!?

I have a '99 Formula Firebird WS6 with white vinyl racing stripes from nose to tail. They've become all cracked and shitty looking, any idea how to get them off? I'd say the largest pieces are the size of the average 'sticky note'. I've read about a heat gun and rasor blade but don't really trust the steadiness of my hand against my paint with that blade, also seems like it would take a mind-numbing amount of time given that they are no longer single sheet pieces. I've seen video of some sort of "magic eraser" attached to a drill, but again, I'm concerned about my paint and have no idea what the "eraser" is called or how well it works. Any/All help would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had my front end repainted i used a razor blade to get the graphics started then i just slowly peeled what was necessary.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt use a razor against my paint! i use a heat gun, rather a hair drier, run it over a section at a time for a few minutes, and you can use yr fingernail or a plastic scraper to get the edge going then the rest should come up. and/or also try goof off #1 with it, #2 will dull yr paint quick! let it sit, it gets through the vinyl somehow and will make it easier, also helps with the residue left behind
Old 04-27-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

3m is your friend here.

google this 3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4 in x 5/8 in, w/Hardware - 7498AM
Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabbit320
i wouldnt use a razor against my paint! i use a heat gun, rather a hair drier, run it over a section at a time for a few minutes, and you can use yr fingernail or a plastic scraper to get the edge going then the rest should come up. and/or also try goof off #1 with it, #2 will dull yr paint quick! let it sit, it gets through the vinyl somehow and will make it easier, also helps with the residue left behind
They do make plastic razors that have worked very well for me removing vinyle company stickers off vans along with pin/striping for cars.

The wheel Gipraw reccomended works very well too!

Quick Reply: Vinyl Removal?!?