Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone had to replace their rear quater panel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone had to replace their rear quater panel?

My girlfriends firebird got hit in the right rear quarter panel. She was parked in her driveway and her brother dragged the truck bumper down the right side. It nicked the door panel and runs all the way to the taillight. It is dented in almost 6 inches the whole way through (looks very bad). I got two estimates today:
-$1158.00 to repair the panel (pull it out and mud) and feather it into the door.
-$2290.00 to replace the panel and feather it into the door.
They will have to remove the panel behind the t-tops and remove the West Wings ground FX to get to the panel so there is labor in that as well. I'm not too excited of the idea of cutting out that panel and welding it back in. I'm worried the weld would look bad and maybe cause rust. I'm also worried that it might squeak or something of that nature when torsion is put on the frame like turning up a driveway or going over uneven road surfaces.

I am going to turn it into the insurnace if I have to replace it or pay it out of pocket if i repair it.

Are these prices fair? This is coming from a very respectable body shop who has done body work for me before. They are really stand-up guys and I know I will not have to worry about it when I get it back and it will get done right.

On the other hand. My girlfriends brother said he has a friend that will replace it for only the cost of the part, $550. In return, her brother will work for this guy for a few days helping him frame his house. This guy hasn't seen the car yet and I don't think he knows what he is getting into as far as the difficult and extensive labor. It's not like the part is a bolt-on, it's part of the entire body. There will probably be at least 24 hours of labor involved in the repair. Also, I'm not sure of his work and my girlfriend is EXTREMELY picky.

What should I do?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced quarters on cars before.... it is not that hard of a process. As far as you having to worry about squeaking, if done properly you will not really be able to tell anything was ever done. So I would replace the panel... if it is as bad as you say it is.

As far as who to have do it... I would go with a creditable bodyshop. Try to find one that a nice dealership like Mercedes or Lexus would take there stuff to. That is my recomendation... it is not worth your girl being pissed off at you and her brother for a LONG time if that guy f's it up