Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Which LED tail light bulbs are bright enough?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which LED tail light bulbs are bright enough?

Looking to replace the tail light bulbs with LED towers but want to know which ones are bright enough to be seen in the day. I don't want anyone *** packing my car with dim brake lights and I would rather not waste the $100+ on bulbs for them to be junk.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 bump
Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

V-leds hipower bulbs. Expensive, but the best on the market.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info but $80 a pair is too much. I understand you get what you pay for but for $240 I could have LED board's made that would probably be better then any drop in bulb. Anyone know of anything else out there?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had issues trying to run LED brake lights in my Camaro...with the headlights on, the brake lights would stay fully lit, so only my 3rd brake light worked at that point. I'm guessing load resistors would have helped the problem, but damn...that much money only to end up with a huge safety issues was enough to send me packing back to regular bulbs.

I'd be curious to see if these eventually get good enough for me to try them again, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Well as of now I have LED's in every light besides the tails in my Firebird. Aside from inside the cabin. I want them for a mix of nice looking, cool factor, and trying to displace a little load of the alt. Right now when I hit my brakes the dask flickers. I still need to do the Big 3 too. But still I think they look cool. In my front turns/running lights I pulled them apart and re-did the housings and lense then put in a 27 led tower and they look awesome. Looking for something in the tails too without worrying about wasting money on shitty bulbs and not selling my soul for a few bulbs.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

You need high watt led bulbs for the brakes.... These are more reasonable in price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Cool, thank you sir.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
You need high watt led bulbs for the brakes.... These are more reasonable in price:
bookmarked
Old 05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
I had a few of those from wardenjp, but in white (for my front DRLs), so I did an experiment and put them in my tails on one side. It was noticeably dimmer than a stock tungsten bulb, so I'm going to have to assume that the red version would be just slightly dimmer than stock.

P.S. I don't recommend the whites for DRLs. They have a slight greenish/yellowish tinge to them that only gets worse when they are in "dim" mode. I'm using them in mine since they are reliable, but currently looking for a reliable alternative that doesn't have a green tinge to it.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why wouldnt these work?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...5-T.htm#photos
Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fucter
The price.

But in all honesty, those look exactly like what I was looking for. Too bad the price is outrageous. $25 ea. + s/h/t. You're looking at over $120 to replace four bulbs...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I had a few of those from wardenjp, but in white (for my front DRLs), so I did an experiment and put them in my tails on one side. It was noticeably dimmer than a stock tungsten bulb, so I'm going to have to assume that the red version would be just slightly dimmer than stock.

P.S. I don't recommend the whites for DRLs. They have a slight greenish/yellowish tinge to them that only gets worse when they are in "dim" mode. I'm using them in mine since they are reliable, but currently looking for a reliable alternative that doesn't have a green tinge to it.
If they were red LED's they would be brighter through the red lense. When it comes to LED's you need to match your bulb color to lense color. The lense's filter out every color wavelenght other then red. Red wavelenghts make it right through. White light would be blocked more then red light.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
If they were red LED's they would be brighter through the red lense. When it comes to LED's you need to match your bulb color to lense color. The lense's filter out every color wavelenght other then red. Red wavelenghts make it right through. White light would be blocked more then red light.
That's why I said it would be slightly dimmer than stock, rather than just noticeably dimmer. I also did a comparison between those and regular tungstensn in the clear reverse housings. Dimmer than a tungsten.

Quick Reply: Which LED tail light bulbs are bright enough?