Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Turn Signals

So, yesterday i tinted my 3rd brake light and rear side markers to match my already tinted tail lights, everything turned out great on the back. While i was at it i finally got the turn signals removed and ready to paint also. i was in a hurry while i was doing the turn signals, got them put back on, turned on the lights and it seemed to look pretty good. Went to work, got off around 11 or so and was very anxious to see them on at night. ............. very bright, yes. but can see every little crack in the light, like where the paint went on heavier in spots. i was almost embarrassed haha. There any way to prevent that? i was thinking of buying two new ones and spraying those? i read another forum about the lights in the link, would they be dark enough? or would it be okay to spray a couple light coats to give it the more tinted look? thanks for the help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...d=233019387529
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

If you sprayed em with VHT, just wet sand it off and re-do it. I honestly don't know what cause the paint to crack cause I'm not much on body work/paint.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

How long did you wait till you put them back on? The only thing I could think of that would cause that is that your DRL's being on could have heated the paint back up which might not have been quite cured and caused it to crack.

I'd try wet sanding and doing it again. Use light coats, it doesn't need to be pitch black on the first coat. I'd say about 3 light coats waiting about 15-25 minutes between coats. (Don't let them sit out in direct sun or anything when letting them dry). Then wait a total of 12 hours or more before you reinstall them.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Must have worded it wrong, the paint itself didn't crack, but i mean the aged lights seemed to have some scratches and little cracks, which weren't noticable when they were the original orange. at night with the light on it showed every little blemish, would replacing the whole light look better or would be a waste of time?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar set to the ones in the link you posted, they dont have a tint look to them. Clear lense on them, just with the black background in them i guess you would say. The ones i had sucked, bulbs melted to the bottom and burned out. I ended up switching them out, went with clears this time around.

I would work with the ones you have right now by doing what the guys suggested, or try and find some stock corners for sale somewhere and tint those.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals