Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Window Switch Bezel Courtesy Light Issue on Pass. side, Low voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Window Switch Bezel Courtesy Light Issue on Pass. side, Low voltage?

Just a while back I replaced the Door Window Switch Bezel Courtesy Light bulbs on my 99 SS with LEDs. I cant remember the correct bulb anymore I think they were 194 but anyways they work. The problem is that the drivers side lights up nice and bright to the point that you can actually see the button labels at night but the passenger side is very dim almost comparable to how it was before with the stock reg. mini bulbs that where in place. Is this due to low voltage on the connection? The led's I used were direct replacement. They fit right in without modification. I purchased the led's from superbrightleds.

Not too familiar with the wiring but how can I try or remedy this issue. Not too long ago I did the window fix kit for the passenger side window motor. If the issue is low voltage I'm assuming I'd have to do similar to what the window fix kit required which is re-wiring? If so how should I re-wire it? Ex. What cable should I splice into if any?

ps I dont have a volt reader...should I just go out and buy one?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that same problem on my 2000 and had that on my 1995. Someone here cut out the clear plastic part and shoved the bulb down deeper. I added a 3 bulb #74 LED and it helped a bit.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem, so I just took out the drivers side for now, cuz it was bothering me that the other side is dark. Btw its #74 bulb like steven said.

And I doubt its low voltage. I plugged the led in and turned the lights on to make sure it worked (before inserting it into the bezel) and it was bright as hell.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

I have the exact same problem with my 02 z28 it bothers me so much because I did the led mod in my whole dash and now that passenger side door looks like ****. If anybody has a fix for this please chime in.

Thanks Jason
Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Correct thats the led i got #74. Yeah it pisses me off to see one side brighter than the other. I've seen someone go a diff. route and put a different bigger LED # but they also drilled a big hole on the outside of the bezel. Looks like a flashlight coming out of the bezel.

Yeah before putting the bezel or lightbulb in I tested the bulb and it was blinding if you looked straight at it but I was deeply dissapointed when I saw how weak the light was once installed.

ssteven you got any pictures of the 3 bulb led you put in? Maybe like a night pic showing how much light is showing?

It might just be the hole/socket where the lbulb goes. May just be a dirty passage not allowing all the light to go through or the passenger side bezel is somehow a bit different in design enough to cause less light to shine through.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I removed the factory refractors on both sides and have sideway-mounted SMDs aiming out of the holes. Shitty pic, but I hope this helps. There's three SMDs on each bulb, see the hole right below one of the unused SMDs?... The bulb sockets are mounted sideways in order to fit in the crammed space.

End result:

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 05-18-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

What weird about this is that the driver's side and passanger side both use these dumbass light refractors but all of us seem to be having problems with the passenger side and no problems with the driver's side, myself included. I thought it was just me until I saw this thread. I'm glad that I haven't gotten around to buying a new bezel yet as it probably would have the same problem...and again Tech saves me money
Old 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Nice fix "Ls1CamaroGuy87". I think I'll just be keeping the led I have in place and figure something out. I'm sure I can come up with something. I'll post once I put something together.
I guess thats one of the things that make our cars so special. This is one of those things that belong here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...-your-car.html
If it werent for tech I dont think I'd ever have bought a camaro for a 2nd car.

Quick Reply: Door Window Switch Bezel Courtesy Light Issue on Pass. side, Low voltage?