Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Suggestions on cleaning windows up after tint removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Suggestions on cleaning windows up after tint removal

What's up guys, just would like to have some suggestions and input on cleaning up the windows after removing my tint. I decided to remove the window tint off of my car as it was sort of blue'ish and seemed extremely cheap (previous owner did it). Now, I plan to get them re-tinted in a few weeks but want to give my windows a real good thorough cleaning in the meantime, which is why I started this thread

Removing the tint was easy, took a razor, just chopped at the edge of the tint sheet a couple of times and I was able to peel it off with my hand easily on all windows, even the hatch, it went very smoothly. But, unfortunately, the car has a huge amount of glue residue and a weird light blue'ish residue leftover on the side windows after me removing the tint off of them. The dot-matrix on the hatch also has a few pieces of tint left on it that I couldn't quite rip off easily and I'm afraid to take a razor blade to it because I don't want to ruin it.

So, my questions to you all would be:

-How would you go about removing all of the old dried up glue residue off of the side windows? I'm going to pick up some 3M adhesive remover tomorrow first thing and try that, but if that doesn't work, what should I try next? I actually used windex today, it did help some but takes a lot of time to get any sort of result. Keep in mind, this is probably really old dried up glue, so it is TOUGH to get rid of. I'm guessing this tint was done probably when the car was basically new judging by how easy it was to remove.

-How would you go about removing the few small pieces of leftover tint that I wasn't able to remove with my hand on the dot-matrix? As said before, I don't want to ruin it with a razor blade so I need some other suggestions on how to do it from you guys.

So yeah, if you guys could just help me out with those two questions, that would be great. I've ran a search and that helped, but I just need some more up to date ideas that I could possibly use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WD-40 works awesome at removing residual adhesive.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the razor blade and clean it off
Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used a razor blade and keep it wet with windex on the door windows and on the hatch i used paint thinner to remove all the glue works really well it just took lots of rags to get it clean but the paint thinner melts the glue instantly.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

From someone who fixes other's tint jobs.... this is what I do.

Razor (make sure its NEW) + spray bottle (20+oz.) with 1oz of Johnson & Johnson's "No Tears" Baby Shampoo.

Trust me, it works great and doesn't leave harsh chemicals all over the floor or your interior. Easy cleanup.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

go to homedepot and pick up this spray for stripping old paint from wood, its called stripper removes plastic very well from any surface. make sure you don't make a mess with it it removes paint
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by General_Joser
go to homedepot and pick up this spray for stripping old paint from wood, its called stripper removes plastic very well from any surface. make sure you don't make a mess with it it removes paint
Sounds like a horrible thing to use inside the car!

Oh, don't use an ACTUAL razor blade on the back glass, your destroy the defroster elements. Sorry I missed that part of your post. Get a plastic razor blade and use that.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really appreciate the input from everyone who posted in this thread... all of your suggestions have been taken note of and I plan to try most of them out. Good ideas from everybody.

GoFast908Z, yeah, I didn't even think of using a plastic razor on the dot-matrix, that's a great idea man. I'm going to give that a shot for sure if I can just locate one. That might do the trick.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can buy plastic razor blades in bulk from detailing suppliers... This probably helps you none.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 on using a NEW razor. Dull ones will gouge and scratch the hell out of your windows
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goof off, you can get it at any HD or Lowes.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Denatured alcohol worked. Like a champ when I removed my 15% due to too many tickets, anyone know a good percent that won't get you introuble with the cops I want it to Be able to be completely see through just like lightly smoked.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

steel wool and windex works better then anything
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

clothes steamer, fastest, cleanest, easiest possible. Stripped mine of tint and glue in less than an hour
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Goof off, you can get it at any HD or Lowes.
just what he said!

Quick Reply: Suggestions on cleaning windows up after tint removal