Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cleaning under the hood without a water hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning under the hood without a water hose?

I've had great results cleaning greasy engine bays by spraying them down with a hose, spraying degreaser, scrubbing with a brush and toothbrush, then rinsing down again with the hose. To dry you took out your leaf blower and then got up what was left with a towel. I'd usually then fire it up and let it run for a while so any water in the crevices would heat up and evaporate.

Anyways, I'm very hesistent to try this method on my new 1995 Fleetwood with the LT1 and optispark. Any methods you recommend on how to do this job without frying my opti? The engine compartment isn't that bad, but its a bit dirty for my standards.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah definitely don't do that with an LT1. I'd suggest using s damp rag to clean it and to control just a bit of water at a time. Also cover the opti with a rag while you do it. I hear simple green works well. Using a leaf blower is also great.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

simple green, rag, and elbow grease. Thats how i used to do it with my LT1. Garden hose is too sketchy for me
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Man I am so happy not to be dealing with the opti anymore, but I agree NO waterhose. Geeeezzzz.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Not many options other than what was suggested.. assorted rags and a lot of manual scrubbing.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rags and cleaner always worked the best. Get a good dressing like Hyper Dressing from Meguiars will help give a "wet" look that will accent thinks like the black plastic.

You can use water in a pump bottle and mist/wipe, its far better control then a hose.

Quick Reply: Cleaning under the hood without a water hose?