Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VFN WS9 hood installed today

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VFN WS9 hood installed today

Just got my WS9 outlaw hood in today so I raced down to my work where it was shipped. Cost me 190 bucks for shipping, damn. Anyway got it on everything fits great except the front corners of the hood near the back corner of the headlights stick up. I check the hood bump stops and even took them out and both corners still stick up which looks like total ****. I can push down on them and they sit flush, but when I let go they stick out again. I can't get it painted at my friends until I take care of this. Could I heat them up to bend them or sit something on top after theyre heated and let it cool? Here are some random pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails VFN WS9 hood installed today-2011-06-02_12-00-43_467.jpg   VFN WS9 hood installed today-2011-06-02_12-00-58_822.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

That hood looks like crap on your car...here ill take it off your hands

I have no idea how you can fix the hood, but pretty much every outlaw hood I've seen has those corners stickin up a little

Last edited by 98blackbirdta; 06-02-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I have not had a need to jack with my LS1 Trans Am. But I did spend lots of time on a Ws6 hood on my LT1 TA. On the LT1, the headlight cover has some set screws which would allow you to fine tune the fitment/angle. I also had to slot the holes a bit to shift the headlight covers. Give this a look and see.

The key thing to note on aftermarket hoods is you have to make the car fit the hood. There is alot more that can be adjusted than the bumpstops.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mfb_birdman
The key thing to note on aftermarket hoods is you have to make the car fit the hood. There is alot more that can be adjusted than the bumpstops.
+1

I have an OEM WS6 Hood and it still took me 2 days of adjusting EVERYTHING on the car to get it right. I had to use washers as spacers for the 3 plastic clips on my bumper and use carriage bolts to hold them in.

The bad part is when you get one thing to look good, you have to adjust another part.

Like birdman said Underneath the headlight cover there screws that adjust the height of the headlight.

Just take your time and be prepared to take it apart>Adjust it>Put it back together>Check It and Repeat a few times
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a US Exotics WS9 Hood and let me tell you, it definitly needed fitting and we needed to re align the hood and fenders to the hood. Looks killer but def more then just bump stops.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=551

Bottom of the page shows the gaps and how the hood fit, pretty good IMO for aftermarket.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got everything else lined up, but I dont see how Im going to get the fender to move up a good quarter inch to meet the top of the hood. Once I get my 408 done Im going to make the nitrous purge through the side vents . Also I thought these hoods had rear heat extractors that you could see from the inside... Maybe it was a different hood and I could just do them myself.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it a lot. Need one for my WS6.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

You can bring the fenders up. They are held on by several screws inside the engine bay going front to back. Take these out and you will be amazed how much the fender will move. I may have slotted these as well. If you need inboard/outboard adjustment too you can put some washers or other makeshift shims in there as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

We noticed that in your picture that your hood is sitting too high...if you adjust the center...the sides will follow.

To do this, we recommend adjusting your latch catch downwards as in this illustration below,

Also the hood pivots on the center latch like a teeter totter, if you move the latch on the hood a little to one side the corners will follow, doing it to much to one side will result in a lifted corner on one side, so you may try loosening the two latch bolts of the main latch on the hood, and sliding the latch back and forth a little until your happy with both corners

Last edited by vfntech; 06-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Fitment issues with WSQ hood anyone? - I am getting one of these.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

sweet! now you just need to get that thing painted.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sweet. love that hood
Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres my thread on a VFN WS6 hood. I had the same problems are you. Just keep working on it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ty-decent.html

The hood will go down and sit flush. dont forget to elongate the hinge holes and take you front hinge out and see how it sits on the front corners without it. Push down on it also.

Also, letting my car/hood sit out in the sun helped lay the front corners down too.

Quick Reply: VFN WS9 hood installed today