Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Chrome Lugnuts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome Lugnuts?

I tried to do a quick search but didn't really find anything so I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Anyway, I have stock chrome ZR1's on my F-Body and they have the standard 3/4 lugnuts with black caps. My friend has the same style wheel (aftermarket) on his '97 SS and they have nice chrome lugnuts. He doesn't know where they came from or the brand since they came on the car when he bought it. I was just curious if anyone knew where to buy these chrome lugnuts to fit our stud and wheel so that I can get ride of the stock lugs and caps? I'm hoping I can find a nice set that won't rust after 6 months.

Thanks for any help or info!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Gorilla lugs. (google it)

I got their powder coated black lugs and LOVE them. they re pricey though. My set was $65.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got off-the-shelf lugnuts from O'Reillys - $4 for a pack of 4. I've removed and reinstalled the wheels at least 3 times each and the lugnuts dont even have a scratch on them
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered mine offline probably 5 years ago and still have them just don't remember the brand. I know Autozone has chrome locking ones that aren't expensive. I would check them or an any autoparts store first before you buy online.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Launching!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...riesWheels.jsp

I got the ones on the left for $40 from discount. Prices must have gone up.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a similar thread about this one cause I also have chrome ZR1's with black caps that I want to get rid of lol.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I thought about stopping at an auto parts store but I have a set on my truck (from advanced auto) and they are starting to rust on the edges. They also just have a chrome "jacket" on them, a few have fallen off from the impact gun and revealed a plain lug underneath which I wasn't happy about. Also, I'm not too worried about having a locking lugnut, as a matter of fact I'd rather steer away from those. The car sits in the garage anyway so I'm not too worried about theft.

EDIT: I'm also hoping to stick to a traditional style lug, as in one I can just put a socket over and loosen/tighten. I work at a shop and all too often I see the fancy style lugnuts that take special adaptors and they either break or strip out the threads on the lug nut itself
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the slp lug nuts and tell them you want the chrome lug nut covers I got the same rims like you got that's what I got on mine go online to ws6 store they have them there you will got the lug nuts and the chrome covers but if you get them be very careful with them
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got generic O'Reilley chrome lugnuts and a set of chrome "tuner" locking nuts. Not a single problem with them for years. I also live in California and don't live near the ocean or snowy areas.

Originally Posted by 99 ss
Get the slp lug nuts and tell them you want the chrome lug nut covers I got the same rims like you got that's what I got on mine go online to ws6 store they have them there you will got the lug nuts and the chrome covers but if you get them be very careful with them
Dude, SLP lugnuts and caps?
1) He doesn't want caps
2) Caps SUCK.
3) Why buy "SLP" lugnuts?? If they need a cover then they are identical to stock......

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Slp caps don't suck I bought the ones from slp and look and work great I'm glad I went with slp ones then the shitty ones you got from o reilleys at least I got my factory look then your shitty ones you bought
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get some Gorilla Locking Lugs. They're Chrome, Acorn head, and every single lug is a locker. I've had mine for 2 years and the chrome still looks brand new. Best part? A full set of 20 is only $41 + S&H. Not a bad price to pay to keep your wheel safe.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-71633N/
(I can't remember if that is the correct thread for our cars, but I do know Summit carries the correct ones. That's where I bought mine.)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 ss
Slp caps don't suck I bought the ones from slp and look and work great I'm glad I went with slp ones then the shitty ones you got from o reilleys at least I got my factory look then your shitty ones you bought
Real mature. SLP lugnuts are stock lugnuts, and the black caps are even the same as factory black caps. The caps are a pain in the *** to deal with when pulling the wheel. The factory lugnut look is ugly. Like the factory look of a Chevy Cavalier.

Compare the SLP lugnut caps:

to the "shitty ones" that are solid, have no caps, and have good locks:

Grow up, thanks.

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Get some Gorilla Locking Lugs. They're Chrome, Acorn head, and every single lug is a locker. I've had mine for 2 years and the chrome still looks brand new. Best part? A full set of 20 is only $41 + S&H. Not a bad price to pay to keep your wheel safe.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-71633N/
(I can't remember if that is the correct thread for our cars, but I do know Summit carries the correct ones. That's where I bought mine.)
x2!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I just bought the "Ebay" lug nuts ... cheap & had them in a few days ... 12mm on the front & 1/2" on the rear (S60). It is not a daily driver so they don't see weather ... if yours is a daily driver you may want better longevity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the links guys. My far as my car goes, It's not a daily driver but it does get driven more during the summer as opposed to spring/fall (never in winter). Mostly a weekend cruise/show car due to the fact that I have my LT1 and still have something fun to drive during the week.

I appreciate the link to the SLP caps, and I had seen those during my search but as ZexGX stated, I'd like to stay away from caps and go for something all solid. I like the idea of the Gorilla lock but not sure if I like the idea of them all being a weird socket design (locking lug). I think I'll try and stop by O'Reillys tomorrow and see what they have in stock. I was basically wanting a plain Jane chrome lugnut where I could put a 3/4'' socket on my impact gun and spin them off rather then putting that on, then another lug-key socket, if that makes sense.

I do appreciate the ideas and if all else fails, I'll probably be open to the gorilla locks
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure if you take it to a retarded dumb mother ****** that dont know how to take them off right sure he will break them and stock look is way much better and classe
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure Summit has standard Chrome lugnut sets for our cars if all you want it a basic lugnut. If you do decide to go locking, again, I highly recommend the Gorilla lugs. What I wouldn't do is go with the locking style that ZexGX posted (I'm assuming you agree in the shitty-ness of them). Those stick out past (or at least flush with) the center cap so it's pretty easy to grab them with a set of vice grips; thus defeating the whole 'locking' thing. The Gorilla's have slots that are unique to that particular set and are recessed into the lug, not on top. The trade off, like you said, is taking the time to put the key on, then a lug socket. But that's the price we pay for the protection I guess.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I've had gorilla chrome lugs on my ws6 for three years and they still look great.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for reference, here's my Gorilla's. They're 3 years old and a buddy of mine has the same thing in his that are 6 years old. His are just now starting to show signs of wear. Mine still look brand new.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lotus289
What I wouldn't do is go with the locking style that ZexGX posted (I'm assuming you agree in the shitty-ness of them). Those stick out past (or at least flush with) the center cap so it's pretty easy to grab them with a set of vice grips; thus defeating the whole 'locking' thing.
They're shitty? And they stick out? Could have fooled me, since they are none of those things on my car. They've also been on 2-3 years with bi-monthly mounting/dismounting (dirty wheel pics):

Have you tried them on your car? I suggested them because mine sit pretty deep inside of the lug well on my cheap Firehawks. Had no idea that they would stick out on a ZR1. What makes the Gorilla ones any different from being subject to a set of vice grips? Just curious. The Gorilla ones having a lock on every lugnut is nice, since you only need to put the lock adapter on the socket once.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought a generic acorn style set off ebay. About $20 shipped. They look great.

Quick Reply: Chrome Lugnuts?