Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LEDs in front turn signals/DRL.... Tried LED flashers. No luck

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LEDs in front turn signals/DRL.... Tried LED flashers. No luck

So I've been reading a lot of threads on LED turn signals, and DRLs and such, and been gathering information, but I'm still having problems.

I installed a pair of 3157 dual circuit high-power CREE Amber LED bulbs in my front turn signals of my 01 WS6. I still have stock incandescent bulbs in the taillights. From what I read, I thought I needed a Tridon EL12 flasher, so I installed it as I was installing the bulbs. Everything seemed good at first, but then it got inconsistent with the flashing. I was getting one bulb flashing brighter, and sometimes not at all. So I figured these are high powered LEDs, I might need a "fully electronic". Then, I read I needed the EF32RL flashers with the ground wire. So I installed a pair of those today, both turns and hazards.

Now, my issue is even more unique. With the car off, and DRLs OFF, and running lights OFF, I get both lights flashing on and off nice and bright, and it looks good. When I turn on the DRL or running lights and flash, the driver's side light stays on and has a tiny little flicker to it, not enough to emit any light, and the passenger side doesn't even turn on at all. With the hazard lights flashing, and both DRLs and running lights OFF, the same thing happens. The driver side stays on, and the passenger side light is out.

I'm willing to try the CF12ANL-01 flasher that is recommended. The EF32RL is clear and looks just like the EL12 and still has a little magneto coil on the inside, with the exception of a small circuit board. The CF12ANL-01 looks like a normal relay. I'm willing to try another pair of flashers, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue before I keep dropping money on this.

The very first few minutes I had the bulbs installed with the EL12, everything worked perfectly, including the hazard lights which at the time, was the stock flasher unit. Everything worked 100% as it should, until it started going whacky. Is it possible something damaged the bulbs? I wouldn't see how.

BTW, here are the bulbs I ordered. They are super bright when they work. The first few minutes they were installed they were bright as hell.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Im wondering if the LED bulbs are damaged now. Can you try them in another car
to rule that issue out?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Launching!

i have fully electonic flasher, ( cant remember number right now) and have leds in front and rear and have no issues as you stated. But, mine are 7.5 watt ones, not 20 watt ones as pictured.
It sounds like they may be defective, the leds, since they are newly released.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Im wondering if the LED bulbs are damaged now. Can you try them in another car
to rule that issue out?
Not really, unless any of my buddies want to have their car be a guinea pig for a bit.

Are there any other electronic flashers that people have had luck with aside from these and the CF12ANL-01?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Not really, unless any of my buddies want to have their car be a guinea pig for a bit.

Are there any other electronic flashers that people have had luck with aside from these and the CF12ANL-01?

To be honest this is the first issue I've heard of like the one you're having.
I have my Camaro fully converted over to LED's and have never had any issues.
I am running an EL-12 also. Before you go wasting any more money, I would
try those bulbs in a different car. The 3157 pigtail connector is very common.
Just my recommendation
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure why your having problems. Im going to guess its the bulbs or a problem with the wiring in the car. All should be fine with an electronic flasher. Ive never had problem.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Launching!

I bought 2 of these for my turn signal and flasher and never had a problem. I have LEDs in the front and rear turn signals
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/781/835/

Last edited by insidethreat07; 07-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

After I put in both EF32RL flashers and a fresh new pair of the same bulbs together, it has worked flawlessly since. Not sure what the issue was really.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What exactly is your current setup with part numbers if you have them on the flashers and bulbs. I am going to go LED soon and it would really help. THanks if you can post the info.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem.

I just bought some new clear black turn signal housings and decided to put a LED setup to keep them from getting torched. I went to autozone and grabbed their Amber 3157's (just as a temporary fix until I decide if I want to order switchbacks that everyone keeps recommending) which at least turned on before I put the el12 flasher in. Now the DRL's don't even come on and all the lights flicker with the turn signal on, but nothing even turns in with the LED's.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Default Late to the game, but ...

I am replacing all my exterior bulbs with LEDs (except the brake lights, cruise control concerns).

I replaced the flashers with EF12RLs. At first, nothing worked. That was because I assumed another bracket was grounded - it wasn't.

Once I had it grounded, it was magic time.

Except, I noticed that the passenger side parking/DRL wasn't working. I took the socket out again and it was corroded. I order new sockets for both lamps and once they're installed, I'll waterproof the housings and never have to worry about them again.

Thanks to all those on this list who provided all the information I needed to get all this done.

Quick Reply: LEDs in front turn signals/DRL.... Tried LED flashers. No luck