Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1933 Packard Victoria Detail

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1933 Packard Victoria Detail

This detail was a real treat... its not every day you get a chance to detail a car of this caliber and I'm humbled that I was asked to do it. 1 of 6 known to exist, this baby is among the rarest of the rare.

Arrived to the customers property and immediately it was clear there wouldn't be a ton of heavy work needed, just finessing, correcting, and refining an already very well kept car:

Then getting down to the nitty gritty inspected/documented the condition up close. Under the lights there was a fair amount of haze on the finish, RIDS, and other minor imperfections in the finish. The condition was pretty consistent over the entire car.

I started by experimenting to find the right process to get the desired end result. The paint was EXTREMELY soft and easily marred, but after trying a variety of combos I settled on the white pad on the flex w/ fine machine polish. 1-2 passes per area accomplished most of the correction, occasional spots were hit with an orange pad + swirl & haze remover as needed:

Tighter spots and areas between the fresh pinstripes were hand polished using a blue hex grip and revive polish. My best friend Anthony was kind enough to assist today so I could focus on machine work

I continued around the car working panel by panel with the white pad and FMP. A few tighter spots were hit with the PC / a 4" white pad / FMP combo at 4000opm

A really deep scratch was noticed on the leading edge of the passenger fender so I cautiously hit it with 3 passes of swirl & haze remover and an orange pad via the flex. Given the inconsistency of the paint thickness and proximity to a hard edge I felt it was safer

After the SHR/orange pad. Before FMP/white pad work

After the FMP/white pad

Continuing polishing

All of the cars brightwork was in pretty flawless shape, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be kicked up a notch. Anthony applied Brilliant Glaze to all the chromed trim with a microfiber applicator and removed with a single soft towel

He then used the blaster sidekick to blow my polishing dust from the crevices

The areas were then wiped once again with waterless wash and a waterless wash towel, then treated to a coat of Brilliant Glaze on an Americana hex grip

Once the glaze was removed it was time for Americana!

The wax was setting up quickly with the ambient temps being around 80*. It was removed using fresh double soft towels

Corrected, glazed, and waxed the paint was now looking as it should. The overhead lights, my brinkman spotlight, and camera flash showing there were no more imperfections

REFLECTION!!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Job well done!

Some of the owners other beauties hanging around the garage with us, and hopefully the subjects of some upcoming writeups:

Possibly one of the most impressive of the bunch, a Hemi 'Cuda barn find, sporting 46,000 original miles. The car is completely unrestored and in absolutely stunning shape!

Thanks for looking!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Fantastic job guys and that guys collection is immaculate.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

That is some really impressive work.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Wow looks incredible!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that looks great!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

***** classy. My Grandpa worked for packard and an electrician for 40 something years, he used to have an old 48 packard woody, man was it a beautiful car
Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

I love the car, amazing work.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reflection shot doesn't even look real!! amazing job.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome Dylan! Look forward to getting all my new Adams stuff on my car within the next couple weeks!

Quick Reply: 1933 Packard Victoria Detail