Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wet sanding

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet sanding

What should i expect to pay?
I jusy want to have my front fenders and doors lightly wet sanded. The factory paint has alot of peel in it and it drives me nuts.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to be very careful. These cars don't have a lot of clear coat on them. I just repainted my car and several times during wet sanding I went throgh the clear coat. Mostly on the mirros and fin. I wasn't worried since I was repainting the entire car. I used two gallons of clear so I could wet sand quite a bit to get the smoothest finish. I know to do a entire car it is around 300.00 to buff and polish after wet sanding. I would bet you would be looking around a couple of hundred dollars to do the doors and fenders.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

The orange peel that you see is in the basecoat or the actual color. In order to get that out you're going to have to go down to the base coat and wet sand. That means re-clearing whatever panel you're doing that to. Like the above post mentioned, the factory clear is pretty thin so you'll get thru it pretty easily.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 03-05-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

****, thats not what i want to hear. I don't want to repaint anything its original and like new. Looks like i gotta live with it, unless someone knows that i can wet sand a little without going thru the clear.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DTYSON
****, thats not what i want to hear. I don't want to repaint anything its original and like new. Looks like i gotta live with it, unless someone knows that i can wet sand a little without going thru the clear.
You can definitely wet sand the clearcoat without going thru it if you use 1500-2000 or even finer grit paper and keep it lubricated constantly. This will work for imperfections in the clearcoat like small scratches or fine particles of dirt, but if you're looking to remove orange peel, that's usually in the basecoat will require color sanding(wet sanding) the basecoat not the clear.

Bryan
Old 03-06-2004, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parbreak
The orange peel that you see is in the basecoat or the actual color. In order to get that out you're going to have to go down to the base coat and wet sand. That means re-clearing whatever panel you're doing that to. Like the above post mentioned, the factory clear is pretty thin so you'll get thru it pretty easily.

Bryan
parbreak
the orange peel in question comes from the clear coat,not the base coat,you can also dry sand if you choose too,went with 800,1000,1500, on mine,but more then likely you will break through the clear coat on the edges(gas lid door,spoiler,bumpers,etc.)
Old 03-06-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

The orange peel comes from the final coat, It is really in every coat, but you only see the last one. The panals probably have enough clear to wet sand very carefully. Stay away from any edge and from mirrors, spoiler, molding and such. After sanding you will have to buff, polish, and glaze the area. How much to sand, that is the key. Enoght to remove the orange peel with out going to the paint. Sand a little and they wash off the car and dry and see if the orange peel is gone. If the sand paper start to turn the color of the car you have gone trough the clear.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSZSLP
the orange peel in question comes from the clear coat,not the base coat,you can also dry sand if you choose too,went with 800,1000,1500, on mine,but more then likely you will break through the clear coat on the edges(gas lid door,spoiler,bumpers,etc.)
That is what i thought.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

I have wet sanded an buffed tons of cars... and HAVE never burnt through.... the key is to have a squege around... sand a little and then squege. If the sanded surface is sold... not some still shinny and some dull (from sanding) then STOP! Then when you buff... make sure that you take your time and never stay in one spot too long. Now when it comes to edges... you need to make sure the buffer is turning off the edge not cutting into it! That is how you prevent from burning the edges. Also make sure that you use a something on the sandpaper... I used to use a small rubber squege wrapped in sandpaper. Other wise you will not sand evenly... you will sand finger marks into the car.

Quick Reply: Wet sanding