Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hyper-white bulbs?? Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hyper-white bulbs?? Inquiry

Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase some decent Non-halogen bulbs for my Camaro. I have bought real hid kits from xenonlink.com that worked well for my GTO. However they were quite expensive.

I always see a bunch stupid cars with super bright head lights driving that do not come with hid's stock and I know there not true hid kits so does anyone know a good place online to purchase decent bulbs that are actually bright and not lame. I have purchased some before but they aren't much brighter than stock halogen. If anyone know your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: Nvm didnt read thread

Besides HIDs and Halogens what other bulbs are there? Just get some Philips X-treme bulbs and call it a day.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You have two options for bulbs, halogen and HID.

If you don't want to be yet another jerk on the road with HID in your halogen reflectors, then the best route is to get projectors for your car - either a pre-made aftermarket, or the better route is retrofit a projector in your stock housings to replace the low beam and put HID in there.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, projectors or good halogens. I've got hids in one with factory halogen projectors and they look nice. I've also got wagner truview halogens in my truck that I absolutely love. Got them at OReillys. I've been through three sets of silverstars and these are the best yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the silverstars, they were horrible. Then just put 6k hids in my stock headlights. Which actually looked great. Then I started modding the exterior and smoked and painted everything black. At this time I added 8k hids in my stock, now smoked headlights thinking the blue hue would look good on the freshly painted car .... It does on the outside looking in but on the inside looking out not so visible for me. I believe its because my headlights have the dark smoke and the lights are blue so they dont filter as well as if I had used 6k white hue.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I meant is that I dont want the actual HID kit with ballasts and all that extra equipment. I just want the bulb and if you guys know anywhere I could purchase some that aren't lame. Silverstar def are not bright at all so I agree with you. Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Look into HIR bulbs. http://hirheadlights.com/ There are a few different designs and they are hard to find, but they are brighter than regular Halogen. Beware of fake knock-offs on ebay.

As far as regular Halogen bulbs, check out Osram Night Breaker or Philips Xtreme Vision. The versions sold in Europe are brighter than the versions sold in the USA.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ I remember those HIR lights. They were put into some of the John Deere tractors and when everyone found out the John Deere dealer had them and they were about 1/2 price of everyone else they ran out of stock. Cross reference the bulb and check your nearest dealer, you may get lucky.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Look into HIR bulbs. http://hirheadlights.com/ There are a few different designs and they are hard to find, but they are brighter than regular Halogen. Beware of fake knock-offs on ebay.

As far as regular Halogen bulbs, check out Osram Night Breaker or Philips Xtreme Vision. The versions sold in Europe are brighter than the versions sold in the USA.
Originally Posted by ncsu602
^ I remember those HIR lights. They were put into some of the John Deere tractors and when everyone found out the John Deere dealer had them and they were about 1/2 price of everyone else they ran out of stock. Cross reference the bulb and check your nearest dealer, you may get lucky.
Awesome guys I cant tell how much I appreciate the great feedback! Do you know whats a good legitimate website I can purchase the Phillips Xtreme Vision and what size fits my 01 z28?? Also I can only use my credit card because my paypal is still messed up from years ago =/
Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Awesome guys I cant tell how much I appreciate the great feedback! Do you know whats a good legitimate website I can purchase the Phillips Xtreme Vision and what size fits my 01 z28?? Also I can only use my credit card because my paypal is still messed up from years ago =/
As far as websites, I don't know any. The Phillips and Osram bulbs will be the same part numbers as the stock bulbs. The difference is their rating (ex: +70 or +90 in reference to % brightness increase -- its marketing speak so don't expect the difference to be as dramatic as it sounds).

The HIR bulbs will be different part numbers. The part numbers are in the site I linked above.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Raoul-Duke, I have a pair of HIR2s, they replace the 9006 bulbs (low beams), for sale. They were used for less than a hour. The tabs are already trimmed too.

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20A.htm
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as websites, I don't know any. The Phillips and Osram bulbs will be the same part numbers as the stock bulbs. The difference is their rating (ex: +70 or +90 in reference to % brightness increase -- its marketing speak so don't expect the difference to be as dramatic as it sounds).

The HIR bulbs will be different part numbers. The part numbers are in the site I linked above.
Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
Raoul-Duke, I have a pair of HIR2s, they replace the 9006 bulbs (low beams), for sale. They were used for less than a hour. The tabs are already trimmed too.

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20A.htm
Will they fit in my halo projectors and which of the three (Phillips, HIR, OSRAM) are the best or are they all equally pretty good in regards to brightness and reliability? Also do any of the three make bulbs for our fog lights? and pm sent

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 09-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what bulbs do you have now? halo projectors are what? H1?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Will they fit in my halo projectors and which of the three (Phillips, HIR, OSRAM) are the best or are they all equally pretty good in regards to brightness and reliability? Also do any of the three make bulbs for our fog lights? and pm sent
It won't fit any of them as they either use H1 or H3 bulbs. You would only be able to use them in the high beam bulbs since those are still the stock size with the aftermarket projectors.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
what bulbs do you have now? halo projectors are what? H1?
Originally Posted by The Guz
It won't fit any of them as they either use H1 or H3 bulbs. You would only be able to use them in the high beam bulbs since those are still the stock size with the aftermarket projectors.
Yeah there Halo's. So basically there is absolutely no way I could change out my low beams with the projectors?? Are there any H1/H3 Non-Halogen bulbs??

Am I screwed? lol I hate the stock halogens sooo much
Old 09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Depends.

What bulb do the headlights you have now actually use? There may be a higher wattage version, but to run a higher wattage you should also use a relay wire harness with thicker gauge wire (and also worry about the extra heat damaging the projector bowls).

If you have the H3 version, it was a bad decision on the part of the manufacturer since those are intended for fog lights and don't produce a good enough beam for headlights.

Why don't you want to try HID in those projectors? You can get a setup for $50.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the projectors that have the H3 bulbs in them, let me just tell you that even with HIDs the lights still suck. The cut off is horrible and the beam is so narrow. That is a reason I went back to stock lights. The projectors with the H1's are much better. If you just have the standard halo's then you can use the HIR bulbs that were posted or any of the other halogen bulbs that were posted.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends.

What bulb do the headlights you have now actually use? There may be a higher wattage version, but to run a higher wattage you should also use a relay wire harness with thicker gauge wire (and also worry about the extra heat damaging the projector bowls).

If you have the H3 version, it was a bad decision on the part of the manufacturer since those are intended for fog lights and don't produce a good enough beam for headlights.

Why don't you want to try HID in those projectors? You can get a setup for $50.
Where would I be able to get one from $50? Id really appreciate it
Originally Posted by The Guz
If you have the projectors that have the H3 bulbs in them, let me just tell you that even with HIDs the lights still suck. The cut off is horrible and the beam is so narrow. That is a reason I went back to stock lights. The projectors with the H1's are much better. If you just have the standard halo's then you can use the HIR bulbs that were posted or any of the other halogen bulbs that were posted.
Yeah I really cant see to well out of my headlights, how would I be able to tell if its a H1 or H3 bulb?? I bought the lights back in May 2009 and I really have the slightest clue where I got them from online
Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Where would I be able to get one from $50? Id really appreciate it
Lots of places, including ebay. DDM Tuning used to sell kits, but I don't think they do anymore.
EDIT: It looks like DDM Tuning is selling kits again starting at $35.
(I have a 55watt DDM slim digital kit in my projectors.)

The Retrofit Source has some for around $150 for ballast and bulb. Their's are more expensive than ebay due to better components and quality control.

If you search on here, you'll find some people recommending certain ebay sellers.

Stick with 4300K / 4500K for the best output or 5000K if you want a little more white/blue tint. If you go with 6000k, you'll notice a little more blue, but the output will be a little lower too. Not crazy blue, but definitely noticeable compared to 4500k.

Yeah I really cant see to well out of my headlights, how would I be able to tell if its a H1 or H3 bulb?? I bought the lights back in May 2009 and I really have the slightest clue where I got them from online
Remove the bulb, take a pic, post it and I'll let you know which type it is. Just be careful not to touch the glass of the bulb. Please post a pic of the headlight housing as well.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-06-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyper-white bulbs?? Inquiry