Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

To Chrome or not to Chrome ??

Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Chrome or not to Chrome ??

So,

On the police camaro we have the 10 spoke SS wheels in the stock 'silver'.
I have a buddy who does chromefor a good deal and was wondering if I should have the wheels done.
Other option, strap on my new, unused set of ZR-1's that are chrome. Really, these are for my other car but, it's not gonna be finished for another year or so.
Some of you may be peeved by the fact that we have a modded patrol unit...don't hate me

Just wondering if the general opinion is too leave the wheels silver for a conservative, muscular look..or go for the Bling effect??

Thanks,

Kev
Old 03-09-2004, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I love my Chrome 10 Spoke Z06 wheels. Not too hard to keep polished either.
Sure wish I had a buddy that did chrome plating at a good price.

BTW: I'm not peeved that you have a modded patrol unit. As a former fulltime florida figherfighter I say the faster the better! That way when the FD gets a call that requires Law Enforcement we won't have to wait for ya...you should already be on scene with that fast ride!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kev,

I say chrome the 10 spokes...personally, I prefer the 10 spokes to the ZR-1s...Normally, the regular painted wheels would add to the stealth factor, but in the case of a modded Z28 patrol car, I think the bling adds kind of a "reverse-stealth" effect...meaning that someone who spots the chrome wheels would be less likely to think that you are the Po-Po because what Police car is modded with chrome wheels? Of course, the stripes/lettering on the side of your car partially shoots my theory in the ***, but in the dark...or a "out of the corner of the eye" type glance might not catch that it's a Police car.
Also, the chrome wheels will add a nice finishing touch to the flag-ship of your PACE K9 program!

Chris

p.s. Peeved? No. Jealous? You bet your ***! ::
Old 03-09-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

You know it's funny. As a car guy I always look at cars traveling around me...or maybe it's the cop part...whichever, as far as stealth go's I have to say that very few people ever notice the car until the lights come on.

Example, driving southbound on I35 today in the slow lane, I'm doing 65-70 in the 65 zone...this guy comes blasting past me at 80 plus. I pull in behind him and pace him at 93 MPH for 1 1/2 miles ???? Whole time I'm thinking, "Damn Dude, open your friggin eyes!" I was comming back from court so I really didn't want to make a stop but, we are passing all these other cars and people are looking pissed that I'm not doing anything. So, on with the lights and then it happens...the guy all of a sudden see's me and actually jerks the steering wheel as he is startled....LMAO
This is just one of about 50 or so of the same type of thing. I have one other little favorite story here...It's about 1030 pm on a Friday night. I'm in the fast lane on I35 and this car comes up behind me so fast that he catches my attention in the rear view....then...the guy starts to ride my bumper cause I'm not going fast enough for him...the look on my face had to be hilarious as I pull into the slow lane and then watch him burn on bye me!! Again, on with the lights and he pulls over. When I'm presenting him with his coupon for visiting, I ask him, " Did you not see the big Purple w/ Chrome outlined letters saying P O L I C E accross the deck lid?"
Guy says...get this...."I knew it was a Camaro because of the tailights, but I thought that was some kind of racing decal !"
I seriously thought of contacting the director of the human race, intelligence director, and having his brain recalled for a malfunction.

So, anyways, I guess I'm gonna try and get the chrome done. I would really love to get a set of ZO6's and have them chromed...but alas, I want to get a hood and SS spoiler first. As ya know, these 3 items are all really big $$. I'm trying to sell off a bunch of stuff I am not using but so far, no buyers.

Thanks for your guys input.
Kev
Old 03-09-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

X,

That is a beautiful ride ya have there!! Thanks for the input. I'd love too see more pics if you have any. If you do, PM me with a regular email addy and I'll send ya mine to get pics too.

Thanks,

Kev
Old 03-10-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I presume they have fixed the car? I rememebr reading about a sad mishap.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kev...great sig pic!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Hey X, Chris,

Yes, they got it fixed and we got it back near the end of January. Then, it started having little problems here and there starting with the fuel pump, then the PCM, the the gas gauge. Finally got it all figured out and am driving it again.
I had spoken to a couple of sponsors about doing a few additions to the car (cam/LT's, intake) but unfortunately, with the car being down, the holidays, etc. I kind of lost touch with them. I called one company yesterday and they are really busy right now so we are going to have to hold off. I am hoping that they have not lost interest in working with us.
As for the sig pic...many thanks to the chop-foo director 'PendragonZ' Brian hooked me up with that cool little ditty. I LOVE IT.
X, how did the door panels work out for ya?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know man, I kinda prefer the silver over chrome
but just do what you like best, its your car
as for it being a police car, thats kick ***
its the only kind I wouldnt mind being pulled over by, too bad I dont speed though
Old 03-11-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad the car is back together - I know you were worried there for a while.

As for the door panels . . . Well I am embarrassed to say they are sitting in the basement. Been so busy working on the house, and my buddy's car, haven't had any time. I know what I want to do, it's just getting off my duff and do it. Thanks for asking!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Chrome or not to Chrome ??