Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine degreaser

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine degreaser

Im looking for a strong degreaser to get 20 years of oil and dirt off my project car. Its all over the engine bay and under the car.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it depends.. if your going to re-paint the parts then you can go with something REALLY strong like GUNK engine degreaser.. if you dont want to damage the finish then simple green and a soft bristle brush..

Brake cleaner works very good too but again you will probley have to repaint the block and stuff.. i could also cause "splotches" on aluminum..
Old 03-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gunk is good but I used it on a hot motor once and messed up the fuel rails, it's too harsh for me.

I like Simple Green, a warm motor and a paint brush. It may take a little longer than the Gunk route but your sure to have no ill side effects.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I just rebuilt the motor and put it in. Everything is powdercoated just about. Im looking to get the grease and grime off the fender wells and some of the power steering parts. The finder wells are a plastic material. Would the Gunk stuff mess them up? I may get both and use the gunk on the rear end.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If everything else is cleaned then the Gunk stuff is big time over kill. Go with Simple Green, you may not even need to use a brush.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use the GUNK then.. given your first post it sounded MUCH dirtier.. i doubt it would hurt the powder paint but it would kill your fresh block paint..

Simple Green and a soft brush as stated.. unless you want the chance of having to pull the motor out to repaint it
Old 03-11-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Dont use the GUNK then.. given your first post it sounded MUCH dirtier.. i doubt it would hurt the powder paint but it would kill your fresh block paint..

Simple Green and a soft brush as stated.. unless you want the chance of having to pull the motor out to repaint it

Oh don't get me wrong, if we had a contest for the dirtiest engine bay and underside of the car I would win. Wish I had the car here so I could post some pics. When I get the car home I'll post some so you can see how bad it is.

I think Ill stick to the Simple Green so I don't have to repaint the block.

Quick Reply: Engine degreaser