Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porter Cable 7424

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porter Cable 7424

Fellas-
I know I want to get this machine, and since my area Lowes does not stock it, and I don't want them to specially order it, I am just going to order it from Properautocare.com. My question is, they stock two varieties of the 7424...one is the basic and one is their ultimate detailing machine. Which one is the one to get? Is it worth the extra 20 bucks to get the ultimate? If I just go the basic what would I have to do to make it like the ultimate? What you do guys have?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
Old 03-11-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, a few more questions...should I also purchase their DAP kit? Its the one with all of the extra pads and stuff. And finally...do you guys put on the wax with the buffer and then take it off with the buffer? Or do you put it on with a pad by hand and take the wax off with a buffer. I will be doing Zaino with this and they say to let it dry on the car...so would I just put it on by hand and take off the dried Zaino by buffer? Whats the combo...
Thanks again.
Ed
Old 03-11-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coastal Tool has it for about $20 less, I believe.

Josh
Old 03-11-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh
Coastal Tool has it for about $20 less, I believe.

Josh
That's were I bought mine. http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...41d+1079089426

Al
Old 03-11-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
Fellas-
I know I want to get this machine, and since my area Lowes does not stock it, and I don't want them to specially order it, I am just going to order it from Properautocare.com. My question is, they stock two varieties of the 7424...one is the basic and one is their ultimate detailing machine. Which one is the one to get? Is it worth the extra 20 bucks to get the ultimate? If I just go the basic what would I have to do to make it like the ultimate? What you do guys have?
Thanks in advance.
Ed
The Pro Just has the velcro back plate included where the basic. "has one medium density white pad which is permanently attached to a backing plate. The single white pad supplied with the polisher may be sufficient for the week-end enthusiast but its not enough flexibility for the serious detailer nor does it allow you to use any of our Velcro backed accessory pads."
Old 03-11-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

Ok, a few more questions...should I also purchase their DAP kit? Its the one with all of the extra pads and stuff. And finally...do you guys put on the wax with the buffer and then take it off with the buffer? Or do you put it on with a pad by hand and take the wax off with a buffer. I will be doing Zaino with this and they say to let it dry on the car...so would I just put it on by hand and take off the dried Zaino by buffer? Whats the combo...
Thanks again.
Ed
you do not need the buffer at all for the Zaino stuff. With Zaino you want to put it on as thin as possible and using pads would be a waste. To take it off is really simple, you just glide a towel over and it comes right off. The buffer to take it off would be serious overkill.

Now, having said all that, I am getting the Pro buffer for the more deep scratches and to polish it up. After it is polished, then I plan on Zaino by hand.

Hope this helps, Good luck.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BlackFormula,
I researched the tool from Lowes a few weeks ago. The 7336 is the same as the 7424. Only the 7424 includes a buffing wheel with the purchase. Another fellow, (I think it was SuperBuick), on the site suggested that I buy the one from Lowes b/c I'd be buying better buffing wheels than what is provided with the 7424 anyhow.
Hell, Steve1969 bought the one from Lowes, do you think he'd buy the 7336 if it wasn't the right one?
This is just another option if you decide to buy the Lowes one.

Tony
Old 03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys...I guess my next question is...if I buy the 7336, are there any retail stores that I should buy pads and buffing wheels at? Where do you guys get the your stuff?
Ed
Old 03-12-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys...I guess my next question is...if I buy the 7336, are there any retail stores that I should buy pads and buffing wheels at? Where do you guys get the your stuff?
Ed
www.properautocare.com
www.eastwood.com

There4 may be others, but I can't think of their names right now.

Tony
Old 04-03-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay i went into lowe's today looking for the 7424. of course they didnt have it but they did have the 7336, but it was in the sander section? is there only one 7336 by PC?
Old 04-03-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I believe so, Beast. The 7336 is the same thing as the 7424, but its the sander version.
Ed
Old 04-03-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so does that mean you would buy the same pads for it, or are they different
Old 04-03-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, just a little clarification here.

The 7336 from Lowes, despite where it might be found in the store, is the same machine as the 7424 and will serve your purpose properly. I believe it even has the proper backing plate on it as well. I went with the ultimate detailing machine because I knew it had all the things I would need, but buying it from Lowes is definetely the cheaper route.

If you do go with the 7336, you will still need to buy proper foam polishing/applicator pads. You can get these from www.properautocare.com, www.lakecountry.com , www.topoftheline.com , and a host of other places. For starter's I'd reccomend two yellow polishing pads, a White foam pad, and a Black foam pad. For Zaino, you don't need a Porter-Cable. Zaino has no swirl removing ability (which is what the PC is best used for - applying polishes) and it is expensive and should be applied thin. If you insist on using Zaino, applying it by hand is by far the preferred method. Buffing it off is also better by hand as you can do a more thorough job. Now if you are looking to perfect your car quickly and effectively, get the PC and some good polishes like Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Final polish (www.properautocare.com), Einszett Polishes (www.detailersparadise.com), or Griots Machine Polishes (www.griotsgarage.com). Apply these polishes as directed using your PC and yellow polishing pads, then apply your sealant or wax of choice and you're done.

-Tom

Quick Reply: Porter Cable 7424