Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detailing advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing advice?

Hey guys I started a tiny service here on base , to detail people's cars. Well I wanted tips and advice on products to use.. I was looking online and some people said home cleaning supplies work good on something's.. Like engine bay cleaning they said you can use scrubbing bubbles? And it works fantastic and it's safe! So I just needed help on what to use and tips so I don't ruin people's interior .. I clean the interior , engine bay, exterior, windows , wheels wells, wheels, tires. Alot of cars here have tons of bugs on the front ends of there cars .. So what's best for that? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you familiar with ardex products?if yes then here it is
smartcut:best rubbing compound.
new wave:all purpose cleaner.
proper:for wheels ans engine bay.
outrageous:for interior.
bumper black:for like moldings
go on there site and they have everything listed.best products i ever used in the past couple of years.hope it works out for u
Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Hey guys I started a tiny service here on base , to detail people's cars. Well I wanted tips and advice on products to use.. I was looking online and some people said home cleaning supplies work good on something's.. Like engine bay cleaning they said you can use scrubbing bubbles? And it works fantastic and it's safe! So I just needed help on what to use and tips so I don't ruin people's interior .. I clean the interior , engine bay, exterior, windows , wheels wells, wheels, tires. Alot of cars here have tons of bugs on the front ends of there cars .. So what's best for that? Thanks in advance for the help
Go to meguiar's website their forum rocks for this. It now blocked at work so I cannot direct link you.

-Clean the interior: Remove all trash, loose change, CD's and MISC paper work, store in a bag for the customer. Remove all floor mats. Decide if you want to remove the seats if its really bad. Start Vaccuming. Use duct tape for stubborn pet hair. OTC (over the counter) spot remover when needed. I personally vac. floor mats spray down with MEG's APC or APC+, some liquid clothing soap and hot water wash. Comes out new everytime. Also a good Al Purp Cleaner on hard surfaces and a quality window cleaner.

-Engine bay: Spray down, Meg's Super Degreaser, brush, rinse, repeate. Hyper Dressing Spray down ratio 1:1

-Exterior: A Foam Cannon if you have a pressure washer, various wash mits, clean 5-7 gall wash bucket with a Grit-Guard, often refered to as a 2 bucke method. Use a quality soap which depending if you do it all by hand or with a cannon. Also I only use soap with wax in it only for up keep washing, if I am correcting paint, regular car soap is fine. Invest in some Meg's Water Magnets, tons of them. Work great to absorb.

-Windows: Meg's Window Cleaner Concentrate, and there or OTC like Stoners and Spray away that work killer. When drying after a wash, a good squeegie works wonders.

-Rims / Tries & Wheel wells: Westleys Bleech Wite works killer, its consider harsh so watch what rims you use these on. Also a good All Purp Cleaner helps and perioding washing with regular car soap inbetween is good matience. Hyper Dressing or a good Spray shine from Stoners works well.

-Bugs: APC or Body solvent too loosen them up. Some use the wet paper towel method and let them soad to make them loose and a sponge with some texture to remove. 2 layers of wax after fixing to ensure easier removal in the future.

Remember most of the work is in the first job, if you can get the car back on a regular basis, upkeep is easy.

These are just some tips, there is def a lot more to learn.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks guys !! Great info here !!!

Quick Reply: Detailing advice?