Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SS hood clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS hood clearance

I have a question for those of you with aftermarket SS hoods. I have been toying with the idea for some time of getting an aftermarket SS hood for my '99 Z28. I have an SLP airlid, however. I am concerned about hood clearance with the SLP lid. Searches found me one person who had an issue with the trufiber hood hitting the SLP lid. Will any aftermarket hoods fit with an SLP lid, or is it going to be an issue no matter what? Any modifications necessary to make things fit? I'd not like to buy a hood just to see if it fits only to find out it will not. Re- installing a factory airlid is not an option. Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

SLP lid cleared my fiberglass hood with some minor filing. It DID rub but not bad. It will hardly be noticeable to anyone looking at the hood. I''d suggest doing some smoothing to the fiberglass under the entire hood if you're feelin froggy.

The unfinished look of the underside of the fiberglass is much more of an eyesore than the small area filed to clear the lid, IMO.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an aftermarket SS hood on one of my old Z28s. SLP lid that I had painted red barely rubbed against the hood, I'm assuming like Bayers above me.

Nothing bad, only reason I noticed was because the very top of the lid, the paint was rubbed off slightly and I could see where it barely rubbed off on the underside of the hood. Other than that, no issues.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a cheapo from ebay, $200 + shipping gel coated black. It hits a little towards the motor side and the hood is not a perfect fit but for the price, it's OK. If I had it to do over I would wait for a used SLP GM hood.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks, guys. I'll probably get a trufiber or an OEM hood if I can find one.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Captain Double Post

try and find a oem ,its just a better way to go, from what i remember mt stock ss hood rubbed just a lil on my slp lid ,didnt have to do any mods though,
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Captain Double Post

just keep your eye on the parts section , one will pop up, you might even find a red one if you wait for the right deal , thats what i would do ,its a pain messing with aftermarket,by the time you get it to fit right,paint n body , the price gets up there, i would love to have my stock ss hood back but whats done is done

Quick Reply: SS hood clearance