Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

city driving worse than highway?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default city driving worse than highway?

is it worse to drive your car for a highway trip (almost 4 hours) or drive it everyday in the city? i'm just wondering what's worse on the body/paint of your car - the consistent dust on the highway and the possible rock chips, or are these things just as likely (or more, or less) to happen in the city? i'm curious, since i've got to go on a four hour trip tomorrow thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It makes sense that highway driving would be more hurtful, but I think that the constant RPM level and lack of brake usage (highway driving) would be more beneficial. I drive two hrs. from Gainesville to Orlando quite and love every minute of it cruising in sixth, I like to think my car enjoys it as well.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
It makes sense that highway driving would be more hurtful, but I think that the constant RPM level and lack of brake usage (highway driving) would be more beneficial. I drive two hrs. from Gainesville to Orlando quite and love every minute of it cruising in sixth, I like to think my car enjoys it as well.
as far as the engine is concerned, i'm almost certain that highway is better. but when it comes to the paint and finish of your car, i'm not sure which is better/worse. i know that front bumper covers and bugs love each other, but my front bumper cover is already fucked, so i'm not so concerned with it. just the other body parts, and flying rocks, and the accumulation of chemicals or what the hell ever on the road that can hurt the paint/clear coat. i just waxed it today though, which should help. any more thoughts?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well as long as you avoid getting into a fender bender/car accident in the city/suburbs, your car's overall condition should hold up fine if you take good care of it. But I've seen some others that had all kinds of nasty paint/rock chipping on the nose/front end due to lots of extended highway driving when around a lot of other vehicles that are kicking up stones in front of them...

Mike

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 03-16-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya, i'm not so much worried about the front bumper cover as i am the sides of the car (hood also). the bumper cover looks horrible as it is, and i plan to replace it when the time comes.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:12 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as the life and health of the engine is concerned, I'd take a 100,000 mile highway-driven car over a 100,000 mile city-limits driven car any day.

Highway rock chips and such are going to be worse since more times than not the vehicle that flipped up that nasty little rock is going just as fast (or faster) than you. Same goes for bugs seeing how you're going much faster when they fly into the path of your car.

But then again there's smog, the higher risk of a fender bender due to traffic, and those nasty pot holes to deal with in the city.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
As far as the life and health of the engine is concerned, I'd take a 100,000 mile highway-driven car over a 100,000 mile city-limits driven car any day.

Highway rock chips and such are going to be worse since more times than not the vehicle that flipped up that nasty little rock is going just as fast (or faster) than you. Same goes for bugs seeing how you're going much faster when they fly into the path of your car.

But then again there's smog, the higher risk of a fender bender due to traffic, and those nasty pot holes to deal with in the city.
I agree... when traveling at 70 mph and a rock hits the paint... it is going to chip! Then if you are traveling at 30 mph and hit a pot hole.. and a rock flys up the paint is going to chip! So buy a beater and leave the camaro at home ha ha
Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEZ98Z
I agree... when traveling at 70 mph and a rock hits the paint... it is going to chip! Then if you are traveling at 30 mph and hit a pot hole.. and a rock flys up the paint is going to chip! So buy a beater and leave the camaro at home ha ha
Or dont worry about it so much and enjoy it anyway. I drive mine all year 'round regardless of weather. I've even driven in 6+ inches of snow (Thats when things really get fun ).

--VIP1
Old 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

highway is worse for rock chips.. more chance for a 'fender bender" in city driving.. rock chips suck..
Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I am in the courier business, i drive all day long in town of my coworkers drive out of town. we have it figured out the 1 hwy mile is about 3 city miles. It is far harder on your car to drive city. Imagine pulling into a parking lot...one wheel goes up first, it is flexing you car to max. No if you did that many time a day, you are flexing you entire structure. That is not good.

Quick Reply: city driving worse than highway?