Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone use LED's in their fogs?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use LED's in their fogs?

Just came across some real cheap from a place where I'm getting some HID's for my truck.

Anyone have em'? How they look?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Which LEDs?

Current LED drop-in replacement bulbs available in the aftermarket are not bright enough or positioned correctly to replace the equivalent Halogen bulbs.

If you are talking about expensive replacement housings that have LEDs and are properly designed, then that is a different story.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I got these 18 smd led's off ebay to match my switchbacks and 6000k hid's. They don't really have any useful light output but the color matches.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put LED's in the fogs and there's no useful light output, but I have HID projector headlights so I just wanted them to match. I think mine have 72 SMD LED's on each one.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

I kind of figured. Wells, which ones you use? I want to at least get some working ones. Half the time the China crap don't even work.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure most bulbs are made in China these days. I got mine on Ebay for around $30 shipped and they're still working after a year now.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Got mine put in the other day. What a PITA! I got mine from superbrightleds. They were about 22 shipped for the pair. I figured they wouldn't have much if any useable light but one of my stockers was burnt out and I wanted them to match the hids and that they do. Plus for the same price as stock replacements, why not. I had to install mine from the top due to some of my intercooler stuff and the bumper support foam getting in the way from below. I couldn't for the life of me get them on with the rubber gromet that came with the new bulb. They were too thick so I swapped them for the ones that were on my old bulbs and they fit perfectly. Definitely glad with the purchase.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Which style number you use?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure on the pn but if you go to their site they have a vehicle lookup and you can use it to locate the correct bulb. 880 bulb iirc for the TA fogs
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered some t11'off eGay for 6 Bucks. They looked good, sometimes the China crap is good. . . . Sometimes.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody have LED fogs that fit a camaro?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

okay , got a problem that works for here too , ordered these http://www.ebay.com/itm/150831317919...84.m1423.l2649

880 led fogs to try them on my monte carlo since its got hids , so i wanted matching color fogs , no care for output. Well go to plug them in , one is broken , and the other they dont plug in , they are made wrong . So i go to switch them and notice they are not groooved on both sides so they dont work or fit . So i can use them upside down to try to see how bring they are , well i try them first and the blink or flash then disconnect the connection and touch again and they work fine.

Why do they flash at first turn on ??? And why is this 880 connector upside down ?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

I also have done in my car to match the test of the lights on up front...actually accidentally ordered two sets so if some one wants to give me 20 for the others you can have them...that's what I paid. Like everyone else said no real out put but to me neither does the halogens.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
okay , got a problem that works for here too , ordered these http://www.ebay.com/itm/150831317919...84.m1423.l2649

880 led fogs to try them on my monte carlo since its got hids , so i wanted matching color fogs , no care for output. Well go to plug them in , one is broken , and the other they dont plug in , they are made wrong . So i go to switch them and notice they are not groooved on both sides so they dont work or fit . So i can use them upside down to try to see how bring they are , well i try them first and the blink or flash then disconnect the connection and touch again and they work fine.

Why do they flash at first turn on ??? And why is this 880 connector upside down ?
I don't know if mine flash when they come on but whenever I check them they're lit. As for the connector being upside down evidently they were made wrong. Since one is broken you should contact the seller for a refund and try another seller.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

okay partially retarted and was upset , they both plug into the socket correctly just like the facotry halogen 880 fog. Neither of them light up . If i turn them over so they wont plug in it makes contact just enough to get power it will flash as long as power is held to it , take power off it and back on and they are normal soild. But if you plug these in normally they do not work .Also nothing said anything about them flashing in the auction , but i dont wanna say anything about it since they do it when plugged the wrong way and nothing when the correct way so i want to wait for another set. Already sent pics to the seller so hopefully both will get sent out because this is plug and play and shouldn't be this difficult.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

LED's require the DC current to pass in a certain direction since there's a positive and a negative terminal. Unlike a filament bulb which illuminates with current flowing in either direction, which is why the LED's work when you reverse the terminals. That is why I said they were made wrong and you need to try to get a refund.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orangebird01
I got smd led's to match my switchbacks and 6000k hid's. They don't really have any useful light output but the color matches.

I had HID's in there for a week and it was blindingly bright with my aftermarket fogs. Interestingly it made ZERO difference in light output and visibility from my POV.

I don't think I have a pic, but I have my video. 24 seconds in you can see them

If you want to know how I did my DRL, click the LS1Tech link in the description of the vid.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've tried a couple different high power LEDs for my fogs and I was not happy with either of them. One set actually created radio interference which was very strange. Another set had to be modified to fit the connector (GM wiring is backwards), and they were just too dim, they didn't look right.

After the LEDs I got an HID kit, which was also problematic. First of all, they didn't fit! They wouldn't turn in the socket, but I just rammed them up in there and surprisingly they stayed put. Secondly, I didn't get a wiring harness for them, and sometimes when the fog lights were on, one of the headlights would go out.

So I'm back to rocking stock bulbs for now!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you buy LED bulbs you have to make sure they are compatible with your car. The LED foglights I got plugged in correctly since they were made for a Camaro which uses the same bulbs as the G8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use LED's in their fogs?