Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Escalade Stock HID's on my F-body.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Escalade Stock HID's on my F-body.

I need help wiring a set of stock 04 escalade HID to my camaro.

I bought an ebay set but even there 4300k still look bluish.

I love the white true 4300k look from the stock ones.

So I have the complete ballast bulbs and wires from the escalade lights and hole sizes fit perfect.

all I need help with is wiring it has 3 main wires does anyone know how to make these work? here is a pic of the lights, hid ballast and camaro lights.

thanks

Last edited by texasstyle; 01-23-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a quick look and didn't find those wire colors matching with my diagrams. Is that supposed to go to the ballast?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah they come from the ballast. I'm assuming they were attached to the rest of the harness and when they took off the headlights they just cut the wires.

the wire colors are:
yellow
green
brown w/white line

Last edited by texasstyle; 01-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

A few questions / issues:

* How are you mounting that D1S bulb in the stock 9005 bulb hole?

* Did you make sure that the arc chamber ends up in the exact same position (depth and height) as the stock 9005 filament?

* What wires did you cut? That looks like the cable between the ballast and ignitor. If so, be very very careful and make sure you have a really strong/firm and really well insulation connection. Stagger the splices for extra insurance. Otherwise, the voltage could kill you.

You shouldn't put HID in a Halogen Reflector housing. You will produce glare for oncoming drivers (uncontrolled light going where it shouldn't be). Add to that the fact that you are trying to shoehorn a bulb from a different socket makes things worse because you most-likely won't get the arc chamber positioned correctly in the reflector which will lead to a worse beam pattern and more glare.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Teching In

From what i can tell the bulb is attached to the ballast.
The original housing (escalade housing) was not a projector.
The bore on the Camaro headlight and the escalade headlight are the same. On the Escalade headlight there is a wire that holds it in place so im going to remake one like that if I can actually turn them on.
Thanks for pointing the arc position out. If i can turn them on I could probably try to add spacers and try to adjust it to minimize scatter.

I know that on Silverados and Sierras ppl have used these hid's on Escalade Conversions but I have no clue how they wired these. Im pretty sure one of these is a ground, and power. I don't know what the third wire is or which is which. I don't want to burn them out.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The earlier Escalades has HID Reflectors. That is different than Halogen Reflectors. The shape of the reflector is different to accommodate the different light source.

On a D1S and D1R setup, the bulb and ignitor are one piece. However, they can be detached from the cable. No cutting.

D1S = HID Projector
D1R = HID Reflector

A D1R bulb has a black stripe on the bottom.

The silver box on the back of the bulb is an ignitor. It is not the ballast. That cut wire goes to the ballast and should not have been cut.

If I remember correctly, OEM HID setups are AC not DC (think household current, not auto current --- also much higher voltage, thousands of volts). Also, you need a ballast. You can't just power these directly off the car. That won't work.

What you have in that pic is the bulb/ignigtor and the cable that goes to the ballast. I don't see any ballast in any of the above pics. The ballast on that model Escalade is an aluminum box about the size of a small paperback book, probably attached to the headlight (either on the back or underneath).

The ballast should look something like this:

I found that pic on ebay looking for a 2004 Escalade ballast.

The pic also shows the bulb/ignitor disconnected from the cable.

Looking at the length of the cable in those pics, the ballast probably isn't mounted in the headlight. It's probably mounted further back.

Last edited by VIP1; 01-23-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I see now.
I didn't have the ballast it was the ignitor the whole time. What a bummer, but at least is better than electrocuting myself. I guess change of plans. More research to see which way I go from here.

thanks VIP1 for clearing that up.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

As further clarification, in a D2S / D2R setup (and aftermarket setups), the ballast and ignitor are in one box with a cable going to the bulb. The bulb looks similar, but doesn't have that silver box on the end since it is built into the ballast box.

This is different than the D1S / D1R setup in your pics which has the ignitor attached directly to the bulb with a cable going to the ballast.

Here is a rough ASCII representation:

D1R / D1S
BULB + IGNITOR ------------- BALLAST

D2R / D2S
BULB ------------- IGNITOR + BALLAST

Here is a pic of an aftermarket D2S setup:

See how the bulb is separate?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Either way, check out the Lighting FAQ and the forums at HID Planet for more info on HID retrofits.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

http://www.hidplanet.com

There are some threads posted in the Lighting FAQ where people have installed projectors in the stock 1998-2002 Camaro headlight housings. The easiest of all is the Morimito Mini-H1 projector which was specifically designed for easy retrofits.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you not just purchase a HID kit?
They are like 32.XX shipped.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Captain Double Post

^ same thing i was thinking ,32 bucks and takes less then 15 mins to install, op even if you got these free i still dont think its worth it lol
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

^ x3. Seems like alot more additional work from something that would look the same or better for 30 bucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Teching In

VIP1 thanks again, I will definitely look into retrofiting.

Everyone else I have a set of those ebay $30 kits but they look crappy and ricey all of them. I want the stock true 4100k-4300k white light with no blue hues. The ebay one don't offer that. I read so far only german made hid's offer that.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by texasstyle
VIP1 thanks again, I will definitely look into retrofiting.

Everyone else I have a set of those ebay $30 kits but they look crappy and ricey all of them. I want the stock true 4100k-4300k white light with no blue hues. The ebay one don't offer that. I read so far only german made hid's offer that.
I would settle for the amount of money and time I saved! LOL

A projector takes the blue away, halogen housing does nothing to the color.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If you want a white light without any blue, get some real OEM D2S HID Projectors and Philips 85122 (or 85122+) D2S HID bulbs. Get new bulbs and watch out for fakes. Osram has some good OEM D2S bulbs too, but I can't remember their part number.

The light will be whiter than Halogen, but may appear slightly yellow compared to aftermarket HID kits. Its not yellow. Its the OEM 4300K color.

Check out the forums as HID Planet for more info.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run ds2's with toyota ballasts. There are very white with a touch of yellow. Real close to daylight. Got them through theretrofitsource.com, good guys over there.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

X2^^^ the Retro Source is the place to buy anything HID related.

Quick Reply: Escalade Stock HID's on my F-body.