New carpet questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New carpet questions

Is mass backing worth it?

http://www.stockinteriors.com/massback.asp?RetItem=6405

Should I skip this and get some of that dyna mat stuff?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LarsV8
Is mass backing worth it?

http://www.stockinteriors.com/massback.asp?RetItem=6405

Should I skip this and get some of that dyna mat stuff?

Thanks!
Dynomat is very expensive, so I went with Hushmat, a summit racing atlernative to Dynomat.

It took two boxes to cover front to back and I still need some sheets to get the very back or trunk area. Each box cost $149 to bring a total of about $300 bucks. I took everything out seats etc, the job was a bitch but I took my time since I don't DD the SS.

To put the sticky sheets down, you have to take your time, you don't just throw a sheet down, oh no. There are just too many bumps and curves on our cars.

After this was done I ordered new carpet from Summit racing. It was crap. Sent it back Saturday. So I went with another company that sold carpet from ACC. The summit carpet color was way off but if you go with black, it will be worth it, the weight was awesome though. The Summit carpet was very light compared to stock. They are both priced about the same, $300 with shipping.

So the new carpet came in and it was a true OEM replacement and it had jute you could add if you wanted. Installing the new carpet was pure hell. But I got it done, It took about 6 hours to put in and put all the trim back with seats etc.

I did not put the jute in because it would be installed in select places so there was no need since the Hushmat had been placed everywhere in the car. Your call though.

Results, I have yet to drive it above 30 because I also installed a UMI K member and UMI lower A arms to reduce the weight of the car as the Hushmat added 50 lbs… So when I get a chance to see if the sound has been reduced, I will give an update. I will be able to tell because I have TSP true duals with loud 3.90 gears…

Heads up on Sound deadener, Lowes and Home Depot sell a similar product that is a fraction of the cost. A friend of mine just ordered it and will compare the quality when it comes in.

Sorry it was long but you have a good idea to what you will be getting into….
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Let me know about the results!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey dude did the test drive and I feel the results are mixed. With the amount of work done, I wanted almost no noise coming from exhaust and the loud *** gears into the car.

So the Hushmat did help but for the price I would not recommend it. I would use eDead80 or foam. I still have to add more sound deadener in the trunk area to really finish the job.

The hump or stump area is the biggest problem, it is just sheet metal and needs the most love.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Im interested to hear about the home depot stuff, been thing about doing this for a while already....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Teching In

I need a new carpet myself. i was planning on going with black. Would you go with the Summit or ACC ? Looking for the closest thing to oem or better

Quick Reply: New carpet questions