Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior plastic mistake :/ while cleaning ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Interior plastic mistake :/ while cleaning ..

Hey guys I used a 50/50 water/simple green mix to clean my interior plastics and right away I saw my ebony plastic start to fade a bit :/ idk what happen I always use that mix to clean tons of cars from BMW s to Audi s I mean idk .. Any way I can restore it with a product? Or ? I have a 02 camaro .. Thanks ..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure it will help, but I have used a heat gun to repair minor scrapes in the plastic which leaves the surface shiny, a light buff with a brown scotchbrite pad brings it back to a normal dull surface.

If you have burned the surface with the chemical you might be able to remove the burnt surface and get back to the color.

I have also meant to try Mr Clean Magic Eraser, as it is an ultra fine abrasive and wetting it is just the lubricant.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Simple green is very bad JUJU. I think It actually is an acid.
It will Destroy a lot of surfaces Aluminum, Stainless, etc....
If you use it, it must come off af any suface very quickly.
There are more mild cleaners out there that will not harm you car.
I am not even sure why they sell simple green as a cleaner. They even tell you on the bottle not to leave it on surfaces, and to test an inconspicous area etc.....
It think the other guy has it right, try what he says.

Thanks, Roger

Last edited by dragonZ28; 02-21-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Ok so I will try the magic eraser first and then try the other steps .. What do you guys use as a plastic cleaner for the camaro?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Ok so I will try the magic eraser first and then try the other steps .. What do you guys use as a plastic cleaner for the camaro?
I use a little car soap(meguiars) and water.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Tire shine can also help darken it up a bit
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of the damage?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Simple green is very bad JUJU. It actually is an acid.
It will Destroy a lot of surfaces Aluminum, Stainless, etc....
If you use it, it must come off af any suface very quickly.
There are more mild cleaners out there that will not harm you car.
I am not even sure why they sell simple green as a cleaner. They even tell you on the bottle not to leave it on surfaces, and to test an inconspicous area etc.....
It think the other guy has it right, try what he says.

Thanks, Roger
Um, I don't mean to be a dick, but it's not an acid, it is in fact a base, with a pH of about 9.5, and that's why it etches stuff. Simple green is a great cleaner, it's non-toxic, environmentally safe, completely biodegradable and works wonders as a degreaser that's safe enough to let run down your sewer drain. We use it quite frequently when we have people who spill oil in the parking lot and when it rains, the simple green helps to break down the petroleum products to where it's safe to let go into the sewer systems.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get meguiars all purpose cleaner from here on out and dilute it 10:1 for the interior. Works really good and is super cheap.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

I will post pics tomorrow :/ it's dark now .. And yeah I hav read several places that simple Green works with cars interior .. That's why I use is .. But my plastic was the first .. I will try all of the methods posted . Would back to black work? By mothers ?? I just want something to bring it back :/ .. Also any recommendations for our cars carpet ..
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Um, I don't mean to be a dick, but it's not an acid, it is in fact a base, with a pH of about 9.5, and that's why it etches stuff. Simple green is a great cleaner, it's non-toxic, environmentally safe, completely biodegradable and works wonders as a degreaser that's safe enough to let run down your sewer drain. We use it quite frequently when we have people who spill oil in the parking lot and when it rains, the simple green helps to break down the petroleum products to where it's safe to let go into the sewer systems.

The Dirt on Cleaning Chemical Companies report card about Sunshine Makers Inc./ Simple Green was:
That their product ingredient disclosure received a D+;
Their responsiveness to consumer concerns received an F;
Their toxic chemicals screening process received a D+;
The toxic chemicals in their products received a C;
The number of cleaning products on the market was 15;
Nnd the number of products that contain chemicals of concern were eight. The chemical of biggest concern cited by WVE is 2-butoxyethanol.

The report from scorecard.org about this chemical is that it is a suspected:
Cardiovascular or Blood Toxicant
Developmental Toxicant
Endocrine Toxicant
Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant
Kidney Toxicant
Neurotoxicant
Reproductive Toxicant
Respiratory Toxicant
Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant

Directions
1. Park vehicle in a shaded area and rinse cool surface with water. 2. Mix 1 oz. of Simple Green Car Wash with 1 gallon of water in a clean, empty bucket or pail. 3. Wash vehicle with a sponge, wash mitt or terry cloth. 4. Rinse thoroughly with water. 5. Dry immediately with a soft, dry lint-free towel or quality chamois. 6. Wax if necessary. Note: The Federal Clean Water Act prohibits the disposal of anything into storm drains, oceans, lakes or streams.

1 oz to one gallon is very weak. We have had customers completely ruin stainless with this stuff by leaving it on too long or mixing it incorrectly. I guess I was mistaken about it being an acid, my statement is still valid. It will damage surfaces. Expecially if mixed incorrectly and/or left on too long. As was the purpose for this thread.
I do not think Dawn dish soap, or regular car wash soap says to not rinse down the drain.

Last edited by dragonZ28; 02-21-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I have no idea what the hell you just posted, but I'm going off my 15+ years in the chemical industry as well as 7+ years in Hazmat.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Simple Green was the only thing we were allowed in boot camp b/c it's non-toxic.... Chemicals aren't allowed for obvious reasons.

Having said that, The interior plastics are the same color through and through. I'd be HIGHLY surprised if Armor All or something similar didn't make it shine like new again.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issue, ended up doing everything so that it all matched. Cant even tell now.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

Any pics
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Didn't mean to sound like a dick last night...

Simple green is great at doing what it's supposed to do. Is it perfect for anything, no, will it cause cosmetic damage to parts if left on too long, yes, but nothing that's not correctable.

Do I use it for everything, no, but as a degreaser and cleaner it's good. I dilute it down pretty far when I use it as a cleaner and I don't leave it on parts for a long time either. The reason it changes the color of the plastic is because it's breaking down the oils on the surface of the plastic, which is the what it's designed to do.

I agree completely with Roger that it will wreak havoc on some parts asthetically. Use it cautiously. It is VERY good at breaking down oils and carbon buildup.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

I got the pic can any help me upload them I am on a mobile .. So I can email them to you
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls1tech why no pics???
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'd be HIGHLY surprised if Armor All or something similar didn't make it shine like new again.
What he said. Just don't use it on the forward section of the dash topper or you'll have loads of glare (and it actually says in our owners manual not to do so for that very reason!). If that is the troubled area, I'd try to use the stuff sparingly and wipe off as much as possible. For the rest of the interior (other than the leather, glass, and carpets obviously) you can use ArmorAll liberally and let it soak into the plastic a bit. After a few days the stuff tends to outgass and you'll find a haze on the inside of your glass which you can easily clean off. It's good to regularly use this stuff on the interior plastics and rubber anyway to keep them from drying out.

Quick Reply: Interior plastic mistake :/ while cleaning ..