Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

!MAF SD Intake Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default !MAF SD Intake Ideas

I recently got my car speed density tuned and no longer need the MAF. I do not want to keep the MAF there, i want something sleeker. I have seen a few pics but need more ideas. So for anyone that has pics of there MAFless intakes, please post pics!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

look in the forced induction section. nobody has MAF's in there

ditch the whole air box, get an LT1 radiator shroud, and do a pipe like mine!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I cut a piece of stainles steel exhaust pipe that was the same length and diameter as the MAF. Painted it on the outside with engine enamel. Looks factory that way.

Sorry, no pic, as I'm out of town at the moment....and the car's in the garage while I'm away. Can take some pics next week if needed.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like mine

Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

What is the purpose of the MAF? And is it 100% needed?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I like mine

Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to get in all the reasons why you need a maf but is it needed would be an opinion,I feel it is,not in fi. Op just fit a big *** turbo under there and it will look killer. Camaroking1996 there is a maf/sd thread on tech you should be able to get alot of helpful info in there
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
What is the purpose of the MAF? And is it 100% needed?
The computer needs to know how much air is going into the engine in order to put the proper amount of fuel in to run correctly. A one gallon container of air will have a different mass of air depending on ambient temperature and pressure. The computer needs to calculate the actual mass of air entering the engine, there are 2 basic ways of doing this.

1. Use a MAF
The MAF has a few tiny wires in it like the heating elements in a toaster. As power is run through the wires electrical resistance goes up, as air flow cools the wire electrical resistance goes down. The power running to the MAF is fixed but the resistance varies. Using this, the computer can figure out the mass of air in grams per second entering the engine.

2. Speed density
Another way to calculate the mass of air entering an engine is to find out the density of the air, and the speed at which it's moving. Density is calculated by using air temperature and ambient air pressure. The speed of the air is basically engine RPM. Put the two together and you have the mass of the air entering the engine.

Our cars in factory form use the MAF as the primary way of doing things. Should the MAF fail, be disconnected, or removed then the computer will default to speed density mode and throw a trouble code. You can tune a car to run in SD mode all the time and throw your MAF in the trash. However, if any sensor fails you now have no backup. I know this is a pretty basic explanation but hope it helps.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

two tuners in m area really don't recommend getting rid of the maf , one is really good too and does procharged cars and trucks and likes to keep the maf.