Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally have my gauges how I want them!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up Finally have my gauges how I want them!

First I started with changing my odometer color to blue.

See my write up here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post15762440

Secondly, I changed all my warning lights to white. Sort of a write up in same link above.

Then I got my custom 6LE gauges...Blue needles on order (Pics below)

I wasn't happy at all with the warning lights anymore because they were now extremely hard to see in the day time and not much better at night. Not to mention they were purple now. This picture gives the light output way too much credit. They were much worse in person.

I fixed that **** right up real quick. I pulled out the scissors and went to town. The TA bezel covers up the cuts.

Finished product!

Then after waiting 2 months, I finally got my blue needles. They look great, but function like ****. Since they aren't weighted like the OEM ones, they bounce around like crazy even on slight bumps. Oh and since they aren't made from right plastic, nor have the right cuts for light refraction, they barely light up no matter the LED color.

Not impressed with the needles at night. Also, notice the hot spots?

Me goofing around with some different LEDs. Again, see the hot spots...

Also, no pictures, but I tried using the white LEDs that were recommended from SuperBrightLED and tried several other styles, yet no matter what I'd have hot spots that bugged the hell out of me. As for white LEDs, they always appeared yellowish even though they were cool white. I'm now thinking that may have to do with the yellowish colored plastic the light is reflecting off of.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 03-02-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks cool, but in my opinion, the reason the needles are kind of dull is cuz there is no contrast. It looks sick though with all the blue!!! In that last pic, is the color bleeding out by the needles? Is it suppose to look that way? How difficult was the install? How many led's did you need total? Thanks boss!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks good. I don't like how the RPM section doesn't fit flush with the bezel, but other than thqat everything looks nice! LEDs are always fun to goof around with!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I wasn't happy at all with the warning lights anymore because they were now extremely hard to see in the day time and not much better at night. I fixed that **** right up real quick. I pulled out the scissors and went to town. The TA bezel covers up the cuts.
Not very impressed with the needles, I may need to push the needles on further and I need to see if the LED bulbs they recommend will help out.
I agree with you on the dimness of the warning lights. That was a GREAT idea to integrate the old overlay onto the new overlay warning light area. Mine is the same way at night, it looks like spanked monkey ***. I almost need sunglasses to read the gauges. Was you able to push the needles on further? How difficult was the odometer MOD? Was it difficult to do the warning lights, resistor required?

Mine looks simply great during the day, no complaints!!!!

Last edited by DaRReLL; 05-03-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Man I hope my overlay isn't dim like that!!!!! I dont have a besel to put over an hide cut marks!
Gonna start a thread on it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more question...

Does light bleed through from the cuts that's behind the bezel?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is interesting. I just spent $250 on these gauges as well and now I may have to hack up my gauges so I can see my dummy lights? Sounds pretty weak if you ask me.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the blue needles during the day, they look good. Is that the light grey background or is it silver?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
That looks cool, but in my opinion, the reason the needles are kind of dull is cuz there is no contrast. It looks sick though with all the blue!!! In that last pic, is the color bleeding out by the needles? Is it suppose to look that way? How difficult was the install? How many led's did you need total? Thanks boss!
The contrast theory makes a lot of sense, but the needles just suck. Even white LEDs made no difference in the brightness of the needle. The install of what? The warning lights and odometer is not easy, especially the warning lights. I think it was 15 cool white LEDs.

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Looks good. I don't like how the RPM section doesn't fit flush with the bezel, but other than thqat everything looks nice! LEDs are always fun to goof around with!
I never noticed it. I'll have to look again next time.

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
I agree with you on the dimness of the warning lights. That was a GREAT idea to integrate the old overlay onto the new overlay warning light area. Mine is the same way at night, it looks like spanked monkey ***. I almost need sunglasses to read the gauges. Was you able to push the needles on further? How difficult was the odometer MOD? Was it difficult to do the warning lights, resistor required?
Thanks. Pushing on the needles more made zero difference. Their is a write up on the odometer. The warning lights were a huge pain in the dick! I put all the new ones in the same polarity as the old ones and it didn't work. Also, most are connected power wise so if you get one wrong, a bunch of others don't work. Also, even though you may have them in right, you could have screwed up the trace and not know it. Then you have to find the broken trace and hardwire it. I've also done several local members clusters since I have the secret down. No resistors required.

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
Man I hope my overlay isn't dim like that!!!!! I dont have a besel to put over an hide cut marks!
Gonna start a thread on it.
Your warning lights will be. You can always buy a TA bezel from the 6LE store and do what I did.

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
One more question...

Does light bleed through from the cuts that's behind the bezel?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If it does, I can just peel up the overlays a bit and lay down some black electrical tape if needed.

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
This is interesting. I just spent $250 on these gauges as well and now I may have to hack up my gauges so I can see my dummy lights? Sounds pretty weak if you ask me.
Your tellin' me! I wasn't very happy.

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
I like the blue needles during the day, they look good. Is that the light grey background or is it silver?
Day time looks Perfect for me! I might change the LEDs to white instead or maybe just the tach and speedo. We'll see. I think it looks light grey with a gradient, but I was aiming for more silver. Apparently that is their silver.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 03-02-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Alright so I added a few more pics and I pushed on my needles a little more. They look a little brighter at night. I have to really focus to see my needles though, it's not just a quick glance. Since I didn't have white LED 194 bulbs to try out, I tried the stock incandescent bulb and the needles didn't light up at all so I figure white LEDs wouldn't solve the needle issue either. Blue looks better anyways!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks sick man
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well yea what you expect with blue LED & blue needles??? lol... Either way looks sick man. Should of gotten white needles. Would look A LOT better! Good idea with the cutting from the oem cluster. I've been wondering if I should just go with the 6LE black bezel that I bought or buy a Trans Am bezel

Oh & what was the LED called for the odometer? Is it the same for the cluster?

Kind of like this lol... Maybe with blue LED for the RPM/Speedometer?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Should of gotten white needles. Would look A LOT better!
Oh & what was the LED called for the odometer? Is it the same for the cluster?
You would hardly be able to see the needle in the day time. The blue looks way better in the day. That's what really matters. At night it's only me that sees it.

You have to take the cluster apart and soldier in the new LEDs for the odometer. Its not easy. I made a write up on here.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
You would hardly be able to see the needle in the day time. The blue looks way better in the day. That's what really matters. At night it's only me that sees it.

You have to take the cluster apart and soldier in the new LEDs for the odometer. Its not easy. I made a write up on here.
Yea true... Maybe a grey? & I guess Ill check out the write up!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Grey/silver would blend into the background too.

Post 2 has the info you want
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ights-ftw.html
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Same setup for me and same dim warning lights even w/leds. So exactly how do you mod them to be brighter? You cut the new face to allow the old face to show thru after stacking both faces together?

EDIT: so on the new aftermarket face you have cut out where the lights go on the left and right sides, only leaving the new faces for the 6 gauges, no warning light areas, then just use the old face on each side in those areas, genius my good man, kudos for thinking outside of the box.

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 05-22-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

love it!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, that is SICK. Exactly how I want my layout to be with my NBM, kudos to you sir.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
EDIT: so on the new aftermarket face you have cut out where the lights go on the left and right sides, only leaving the new faces for the 6 gauges, no warning light areas, then just use the old face on each side in those areas, genius my good man, kudos for thinking outside of the box.
This! Thanks man. It only works if you have a bezel so that you don't see any cuts. 6LE sells TA bezels for Camaro guys.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 04-11-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sick. I hate the red dash lights

Quick Reply: Finally have my gauges how I want them!