Sponsored by: DashLynx

Project : Slowest progressing build thread in history

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project : Slowest progressing build thread in history

Whats up guys!

First off, this is my first build thread. I am currently finishing up my tour in Afghanistan and will be returning home in a little over two months. About a month and a half ago, I purchased my third fbody. The car is a '99 Pewter Trans Am. A4 car, 68,000 miles. This is my second ls1 fbody, my first being a gorgeous pewter '99 SS that I have kicked myself since the day I sold it.

I have grown up at the drag strip, and with my previous toys this has always been my main focus. While my 1/4 mile time is still very important to me, I have recently become very interested in autox/road racing. I am stationed in Washington State and within 20 minutes from me is a site that holds SCCA autox monthly, as well as a nice road course at Pacific Raceways.

My goal for the car, as of now, is to be mid 12's in the 1/4, while being a quick autox/road race car as well. I do not plan on being competitive in either of the latter arenas, and will be just running in noncomp classes. The car will be my daily driver as well as my toy.

I have big plans for the car for the coming months of my arrival. I have already ordered the majority of the parts to get me started, and am about out of money. That being said, here is a list of things I have already ordered, as well as the things I still have left to pick up.

TSP 1 3/4" Stainless headers
TSP catted Y pipe
SLP LM1 catback
6LE 3.5" corsa clones
SLP lid/K&N filter
LS6 intake (still looking in the classifieds for one at a reasonable price)
P/P TB (trying to find who to purchase this from. SilverGhost did the TB on my '99 SS, but I have tried getting in contact with him to no avail)
Koni 4/4 sport shocks
Strano Springs
UMI dbl. adj. LCA w/roto joints
UMI LCA relo brackets
Strano hollow sways
UMI 2 point tubular SFC's
Car will be dyno tuned by Speed Inc in Schaumburg, Ill
When funds allow, I will also be purchasing a UMI panhard bar as well as a torque arm with relo kit. Also, a yank ss3600 converter in on the short list.

These are the only photos I currently have. I had my buddy snap them while he was checking the car out for me.

Project : Slowest progressing build thread in history-24806351415_316790511_im1_07_565x421_a_562x421.jpg

Project : Slowest progressing build thread in history-24806351412_316790511_im1_04_565x421_a_562x421.jpg

I will be doing the CETA mod in semi-gloss as well. Also, being as I will be running the stock 16" wheels for now, I have been thinking about doing some 1" hub spacers on the rear. Tires will be Toyo TQ 255's.

Later on down the road I plan on doing PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads with a 224r cam. Wheels will be c6 z06 DD by OEWHEELS.

I won't be able to post any updates immediatly until I return home, but when I do all of these parts will be installed within 2 weeks. Pictures and videos will be plentiful.

I was planning on waiting to start this thread, but im extremely excited to get started and figured why not now.

Any suggestions/compliments are welcome!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a solid start. But if you are looking for a solid setup that makes high hp, skip those heads and cam and get AI ported 243's if on a budget, if not, Tony Mamo ported AFR's with a custom cam.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan h/c/etc the lm1 sounds like crap, want a good sound thats still loud go duals
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I am also stationed in at jblm, and want to know where said autox takes place.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They dont seem to have any current ebay listings but PM me for the email of a company in CA that sells hubcentric 1" adapter/spacers for $56/pair shipped
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
I am also stationed in at jblm, and want to know where said autox takes place.
www.wwscc.org You can find everything out from that website. Locations, classes, fees, etc. We will have to get together once I'm back on post. Send me a PM

As far as the exhaust, I won't be doing heads/cam for probably 2 years or so. Funds will be low and there are alot of things that will come before that. Panhard bar, torque arm, c6 z06 DD wheels from OEwheels, yankss3600 stall, smoothie Q hood, etc.

The PRC 2.5 heads and 224r came I have been told is a great package as far as streetability and great gains. The car is first and foremost my daily transportation, my toy second. Not to mention the kit is under $2500 with everything I need.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous car man, should be a great ride when it's all done! I would agree on a different exhaust setup.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redlineracing
www.wwscc.org You can find everything out from that website. Locations, classes, fees, etc. We will have to get together once I'm back on post. Send me a PM

As far as the exhaust, I won't be doing heads/cam for probably 2 years or so. Funds will be low and there are alot of things that will come before that. Panhard bar, torque arm, c6 z06 DD wheels from OEwheels, yankss3600 stall, smoothie Q hood, etc.

The PRC 2.5 heads and 224r came I have been told is a great package as far as streetability and great gains. The car is first and foremost my daily transportation, my toy second. Not to mention the kit is under $2500 with everything I need.
Funny thing is, I leave for afghan in less than 10 days, so that won't happen for a while lol... I am headed to Salerno so maybe we'll bump heads. I'll be the guy in the multi cam...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
Funny thing is, I leave for afghan in less than 10 days, so that won't happen for a while lol... I am headed to Salerno so maybe we'll bump heads. I'll be the guy in the multi cam...
Haha yeah that narrows it down a bit. Im on leatherneck but ive been all over south/southwest helmand

And thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Project : Slowest progressing build thread in history