Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best car duster???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Optimum No Rinse wash otherwise known as the eco wash is great for a car that is slightly dirty and or you live at an apartment complex and you want to wash your own car. My car on the other hand gets driven on the weekends in nice weather only. I've polished it to perfection and protected it with 2 layers of CQuartz ceramic coating which can reduce micro marring by up to 50%, then topped that with ReLoad sealant for that ultra slickness as the coating alone doesn't give. With that said, my car only gets very very light surface dust that never sticks. I used compressed air to blow as much of it off as I can then I like to use a light amount of Meguire's Last Touch detail spray in a 1:2 mix ratio of water with a clean plush microfiber when the paint has cooled down. I let the MF do all the work. I don't put any pressure at all on the paint. Then I'll put my car cover on it in the garage. My car stays nearly perfect by most standards by doing this. Although every 2 years, I will give it a light polish and protect it again. This coating can last up to 2 years on a daily driven car and mine is far from that.
What is this c-quartz stuff you talk about?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Launching!

That no rinse wash stuff is almost as time consuming as doing a regular wash. I've tried it and for me it's easier just to do a regular wash.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My California just streaks the wax it has in it all over the car. I hate the thing, how do you guys get around that?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redf02rmula
What is this c-quartz stuff you talk about?
http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html

Their are 3 kinds of LSP (Last Step Products), waxes, sealants, and recently coatings. Their is basically only 2 products in the last category. CQuartz and Opticoat 2.0. I prefer CQuartz with ReLoad

This stuff is so good, most chemicals you would never touch your car with won't take this stuff off. It's also a beast against fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vP2-kzuyU

Little recap on the vid....uncoated paint lasts 1:30 sec. before failure. Coated paint goes 4:20 sec. with very little damage. That's ceramic coatings for you....
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
My California just streaks the wax it has in it all over the car. I hate the thing, how do you guys get around that?
Did you let it sit on a newspaper for a day before using it?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Originally Posted by demonspeed
Did you let it sit on a newspaper for a day before using it?

And if you use it on a hot car that's sitting in the sun, you may see wax trails.
If so, you'll have to use a quick-detail spray or something to clean it.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ballzee
Guess I should not of asked. Lol. Lol.
I was going to be the first to reply to this yesterday and ask you if you really wanted to open this can of worms. There are all kinds of answers for all levels of analness (probably not a real word).
We had a car show at work one time and it poured rain that day. I opted not to drive mine in. I was amazed how many people drove in cars MUCH nicer than my little camaro, and even more amazed at how they proceeded to just wipe them down with a rag or use a squeege! One of them in particular was a 63 Corvette Vert. BLACK! Yep! Squeeged her and wiped her clean! I cringed and had to walk away. I will admit I do at times use a duster. I don't put any pressure on it. I litterally hold it up off the paint. I know, it's put some micro swirls into it, but hey half the fun of this baby is polishing her and making her look pretty.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In my experience, I'm not against a duster honestly. My car sits in the garage 24/7/365. 9 times out of 10 when I take it for an extended cruise I'll wash it after or at least before I take it out the next time. However, if I wash it, and then put it in the garage, the next time I take it out there's no way I'm about to spend 1-2 hours washing it again to get the dust off of it.

However, I do NOT try to take bugs/dirt/bird poo off with it. It's simply to wipe off the "dust" from the top of the car so it doesn't look like it has a film of dust when I roll to a weekly cruise and or something of the sort.

With all that said, I am a detailer and have been doing it for years so I know what it takes to do a full correction. But IMO I see it as, if you start with a good foundation (clean/polish/etc), using a duster between washes isn't bad. Then once or twice a year hit it with the orbital or DA and polish it back up and you're good.

California duster, use proper proceedure, keep in case. /rant
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

analness.....
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see two professional detailers that responded to the OP's question, and both had the same comment. There is a reason for that. (if I missed someone, I apologize)

It is a question of how good do you want your vehicle to look, combined with the fact that there is a finite amount of clear on your vehicle, and therefore a finite amount of correction that can be done. To me, it always makes more sense to correct once, then maintain versus correct the same thing repeatedly, because eventually you will be unable to correct things.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Those who are opposed due to the whole thing due to the swirls it causes - and the solution offered is to "wash your car," then what about when you're at a car show or cruise in? Just leave the mess on your car?
If you can't clean it properly, without inducing damage, then yes. Leave it alone would be my suggestion.

I always take a bucket and ONR with me, so I can attend to any issues that may occur during travel to a show that i am not comfortable handling with some QD and a MF.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!

There is only one.

CCD

Got mine probably around 94. Still have the same one and use it often. It's absolutely awesome.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Just reread some of the posts on here and amazed. People against duster I don't get it. Did you buy a cheap fake? Did CCD cheap out it's product line? I mean my CCD is from about 94 and I maybe rinsed it 3dumtimes EVER. it basically looks black. I would use it with no fear at all on a gmc terrain I picked up this week for my wife. The only thing I do with it is shake it out before use and half way through wiping down my car.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to use a California duster all the time. As long as the car has a good wax on it and use no pressure it worked fine for me.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Any one here still have problems with this. I have been looking for one car duster really work.
Most of you used california car duster. It's seem still the most popular one these day.

I find this one https://innovatecar.com/best-car-dus...-buying-guide/ they vote for California Car Duster and Ultimate Car Duster.

Gonna pick the Ultimate Car Duster though.

Quick Reply: Best car duster???