Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any help for my 99 Z28 headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any help for my 99 Z28 headlights??

I recently purchased a 99 Z28 hugger orange, the car is completely stock and in amazing shape except the headlights. They have that crappy yellow faded look, and before I buy a product to try and fix them I wanted to see what other people have done to fix this. Would it be easier to just get a new set? if so where would be the best place to get a set? Thanks as always for your help
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used mothers headlight resto kit, worked really well, took some time to do it but came out well... not as clear as a brand new headlight but close and alot cheaper
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

You could get a new set but I would try wet sanding them out followed up by some polish. If that doesn't work, then you can spray some clear coat over the headlights and that'll bring the clearness and shine back also but I just find it easier to polish them out but that wasn't the case for my headlights so that's when I clear coated them and keep some wax on them.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

thanks everyone for the fast responses I've just never seen those kits work but your right thats alot cheaper then a new set for sure. As for the wet sanding I've never done it so not to sure how that will turn out but thanks for the help. Incase I F up these lights where would I get a new set?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

As for the wet sanding, it's pretty simple really. Start off with something like 400 grit and work your way up until you get the surface of the headlight as smooth as you can get it while keeping the surface of the headlight and the sand paper wet.

After that, follow up with a polish of your choice or clear coat.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Used the 3M kit on my 98 Z work great i would probably sand down the numbs first if i did it again thay are a pain to work around.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Acrylic werks. Google it. Best stuff...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Teching In

2000 grit paper wet, and surf city garage ultra clear head light kit, and whistler done

They started off really bad.. like hardly putting any light out
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the mothers kit with the powerball. Did mine while I had the lenses off to do the whistler mod. The kits work, but you may have to repeat the process a couple times to get the best results. I spent about 4 hours working on mine. Still not as good as new ones, but good enough for me.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

thanks everyone for the post I think I might try the wet sand approach because these lights are really bad I really appreciate all the advice on these lights
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
I used the mothers kit with the powerball. Did mine while I had the lenses off to do the whistler mod. The kits work, but you may have to repeat the process a couple times to get the best results. I spent about 4 hours working on mine. Still not as good as new ones, but good enough for me...

x2 i did same thing....took same amount of time too..lol the mothers powerball kit comes with the polish, powerball, and wet sanding pads... all u need is a drill and couple hours..

Quick Reply: Any help for my 99 Z28 headlights??