Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Those with 6LE CF Diffuser come in

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Those with 6LE CF Diffuser come in

For those that have this piece for a t/a, how was your fit?

I am on my second one and the fit is still off. The replacement piece is better than the original one I got a couple months back (pieces were on backorder). Mark was helpful in trying to get it corrected the first time. I have not contacted him yet about the second one not fitting correctly, but plan on it as well. Just wanted to get feedback on if this is how others have been.

Here is the original one:

Here is the replacement piece that I just received this week, from a new batch of diffusers:

The piece lines up better than the original, but still cant even get it to lay flat when I push on it and hold it in place.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you have the adhesive on the diffuser and had it held there for a good amount of time? if you put the diffuser on the way that the instructions say to, tape it to the car and allow the heat to form it to the car. it doesnt come curved from 6LE and it will curve over time. you should have kept the first one because from the looks of it, it was perfectly fine.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta read directions
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing for some beautiful pics of a 6LE CF diffuser on NBM!!! Make it happen OP and take lots of pics!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is what you pmed me about? I had the same problem initially. What I would up doing was using a combo of Goop and screws in the bumper to hold it in place
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the regular plastic one and I had the same fitment issues. I seriously don't understand why these things weren't molded to actually fit the car. Anyhoooo... I got mine to fit decently well by pushing on the diffuser extremely hard and installing screws on the ends of the bottom of the piece into the bumper.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Mybandit and Doggy -> It came with no instructions, but thanks for stating the obvious of following instructions. I sent pics to Mark asking if this was normal and he offered a replacement as it should not have been off that much. I also ordered the Cf splitter at the same time. That came with incorrect hardware (Mark had to end up sending me out a correct set) and also found out it does not come pre-drilled like the abs pieces do. I could not even get the original piece to follow the bumper at all, so that's why they sent out a replacement. These are not like the abs ones that can mold over time as the fiberglass backing makes it pretty firm. Even if I was able to hold it with screws, the fiberglass is already cured and wont change shape, it will just add additional stress to the stock bumper.

Blk98vert, yes this is what I pm'ed about, just figure for the cost it should fit better where I'm not struggling to get it to hold shape. At this point I am debating on whether I want to keep this piece or not.

Carlos, your car looks great.

Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the carbon fiber version and mine was the same way but I took off all the tape and used 2 rivets at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom and now it fits great

Old 05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 91rs355
I have the carbon fiber version and mine was the same way but I took off all the tape and used 2 rivets at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom and now it fits great

Did yours come with tape? Mine came with nothing, Mark said I would have to get tape and screws myself. Also did your rivet behind the license plate then?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Did yours come with tape? Mine came with nothing, Mark said I would have to get tape and screws myself. Also did your rivet behind the license plate then?
It had a bunch of 3m tape on it but it couldve been from the previous owner (who never installed it) I used the license plate bolts. After I took all the tape off I had a buddy push one end in rivet it then work our way to the other side so it all lined up good
Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Man that looks great.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Mybandit and Doggy -> It came with no instructions, but thanks for stating the obvious of following instructions. I sent pics to Mark asking if this was normal and he offered a replacement as it should not have been off that much. I also ordered the Cf splitter at the same time. That came with incorrect hardware (Mark had to end up sending me out a correct set) and also found out it does not come pre-drilled like the abs pieces do. I could not even get the original piece to follow the bumper at all, so that's why they sent out a replacement. These are not like the abs ones that can mold over time as the fiberglass backing makes it pretty firm. Even if I was able to hold it with screws, the fiberglass is already cured and wont change shape, it will just add additional stress to the stock bumper.

Blk98vert, yes this is what I pm'ed about, just figure for the cost it should fit better where I'm not struggling to get it to hold shape. At this point I am debating on whether I want to keep this piece or not.

Carlos, your car looks great.
Thank you, sir. BTW... I previously mentioned that mine is plastic, but I meant to say that it's fiberglass.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

that SOM w/ carbon fiber is sweet as heck
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Some nice cars in this thread, i have never put one on but some brute force n a heat gun im sure would work perfect,just dont go to nuts with the heat gun
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

It had a bunch of 3m tape on it but it couldve been from the previous owner (who never installed it) I used the license plate bolts. After I took all the tape off I had a buddy push one end in rivet it then work our way to the other side so it all lined up good
Ah I see the rivets now. I would rather not have to visible rivets though. I don't mind the ones on the bottom, as I was planning on that anyways, but the ones at the top corners just takes away from a clean look.

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Some nice cars in this thread, i have never put one on but some brute force n a heat gun im sure would work perfect,just dont go to nuts with the heat gun
And I thought about heat, but I was concerned about it distorting the clear and well as the weave pattern on the CF.
I am still waiting to hear back from 6LE, I am not trying to be a snob, but for the price, I think it should fit better where it should not be a struggle to hold in place.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on painting the rivets black so it blends together better but the marker wore off. I really didn't want to rivet it either but I had no choice because of the fitment issue
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

I plan on painting the rivets black so it blends together better but the marker wore off. I really didn't want to rivet it either but I had no choice because of the fitment issue
Well hopefully Mark will chime in soon. I dont think they realized people were having to do more than just 3m tape and a couple of screws on the bottom.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well hopefully Mark will chime in soon. I dont think they realized people were having to do more than just 3m tape and a couple of screws on the bottom.
I hope so for your sake, I think you will have to come up with a solution on your own to make it work. It's a nice piece but it doesn't contour to the bumper so your either going to spend hours heating it up or 10 minutes bolting it to the bumper
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

It should be molded into the bumper.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J LT1 TA
It should be molded into the bumper.
Not sure how that would work with 2 different materials and finishes

Quick Reply: Those with 6LE CF Diffuser come in