Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back to Black?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to Black?

Does anybody use Meguairs back to black for plastic peices? i want to put it on the cowl trim and the trim on my t-tops but i dont know how its going to hold up or if it will be worse than before! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Launching!

i use it on my tahoe's bumper plastics and works great. Actually did make them much deeper black than they were. I like the stuff. It is a little greasy though. As i put them on my running boards once, not a good idea. lol.

Havent tried the trans am yet. I imagine would be alright. Try it out.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

i bought the stuff hoping it would help my cowl trim, but it was way too late for that. i ended up just painting it and i was much happier with the outcome than i ever was with back to black. oh, and it's lasting more than a few days
Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best back to black stuff is that stuff made by bondo, its a black gel, trust me i had some bad looking stuff and that stuff made such a difference, back to black is ok but the bondo stuff is such a better product
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

I have used it for a few years now. Very nice stuff.

I agree with the greasy comment, I also hit my running board plastic with it once. Almost ate the seat when I got in too lol
Old 05-20-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Mothers has some back to black stuff and it sucks. Maybe the bottle I got was old but it didn't do anything at all.

I have head good things about the back to black bondo makes but I haven't found it anywhere. Black Wow is suppose to be really good too.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pipeless416
i bought the stuff hoping it would help my cowl trim, but it was way too late for that. i ended up just painting it and i was much happier with the outcome than i ever was with back to black. oh, and it's lasting more than a few days
Same here.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=LilJayV10;16333509]Mothers has some back to black stuff and it sucks. Maybe the bottle I got was old but it didn't do anything at all. [QUOTE]

I agree. I have tried Mothers and it didn't work as well as I was hoping. Doesn't last that long either.

Try 303 Aerospace protectant. This stuff is not really for making plastics, vinyl, etc. black again but it is a great UV protectant. When applying, it does bring back original look. It also lasts for more than one washing.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back To Black is like a like a lot of other products. Cover-up!

I have Aero 303, Meg Hyper Dressing, Meg's Ultimate Protectant and B-to-B and all work generally the same. I tend to stick with Ultimate Protectant as you have to spray hyper dressing and it tends to get everywhere and make a mess.

IMO you just need to paint the cowl or find a way to scrub the plastic clean w/o damaging the textured finish. Something I am still researching but just giving my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just some products that come to mind are:

Solution Finish
Poorboy's Trim Restorer
Turtle Wax Premium Grade Trim Restorer

I've used Meguiar's and it gives the illusion that it brings back color. What it really seems to do is grease it up to make it looks less dull. It probably protects well but it doesn't really restore color.

The Solution Finish is really expensive but a little goes a long way and the reviews of it are the best. Before and after pics are a huge difference.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

My experience with Back to Black is quite positive. I had many black exterior pieces on my '04 Chevy Venture minivan and it brought back all the pieces to 'like new' black. They were looking 'washed out' and white. Some trim pieces took 2 -3 applications but everything was beautiful afterwards. To eliminate the greasy feel just take an old dry towel and rub over the entire piece afterwards. It doesn't eliminate the black color. Depending on weather, mine would last an easy month before re-applying.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Ive used it on my wifes cars grill and could hardly see a difference
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I used it on my cowl and couldn't tell a difference but used it on a customers car and it made a huge difference. I guess my cowl was just to far gone.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad I caught this thread because mine is in need of some attention as well and didn't know how this stuff played or if it would be better to just paint it.

Quick Reply: Back to Black?