Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Re-doing Interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re-doing Interior

My 98 T/A is being stripped apart to give new life to it, I decided to try my hand at changing the interior color from Tan to Black. I'm using SEM Color Coat paint Landau Black for the interior, and plan to use their Classic Coat Ebony black on my leather. The Classic Coat is for use on Leather, its designed not to chip, crack, peel, or come off on your clothes. I still have to add the Low Luster Clear to the interior panels to protect the paint.
Attached Thumbnails Re-doing Interior-img_9868.jpg   Re-doing Interior-img_3153.jpg   Re-doing Interior-img_7874.jpg   Re-doing Interior-img_0856.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also went ahead and wrapped the headliner in vinyl. I wanted leather but I am the most impatient person ever so I went ahead and just got the vinyl and wrapped it myself. The upholstery guy advised me to use suede bc our head liners are so weak. I just went ahead and added fiberglass resin and mesh to the middle and that repaired the crack I caused when removing, and gave it much better strength.
Attached Thumbnails Re-doing Interior-img_0218.jpg   Re-doing Interior-img_7407.jpg   Re-doing Interior-img_9293.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with it cause I have had the SEM scratch off. I originally painted my tan plastics in the sail/trunk. I replaced them with stock Ebony pieces after a couple years & am much happier now. I do still have my stock grey dash painted with the SEM Landau Black. If it wasn't cracked from age & sun I'd leave it in there, it really seemed to work great on the dash.

I'm seriously considering it on my tan door panels though cause I cant find any Ebony panels in good condition and when I do people want a arm/leg for them + shipping.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Big Mike do you think a couple coats of the clear will help, bc I do see it will scratch off easy, even after a good prep.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

i would consider just wrapping the panels in some nice black leather

not that painting them looks bad i have done it, but its better to just covere it up with a material then you dont have to worry about paint flaking and such. and it will give the car a more high end feel.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
i would consider just wrapping the panels in some nice black leather

not that painting them looks bad i have done it, but its better to just covere it up with a material then you dont have to worry about paint flaking and such. and it will give the car a more high end feel.
This. A leather wrap, or even vinyl would look much better.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought about wrapping it after I spent a bunch of money on this damn paint. I guess i'll let ride for a while then see about changing it. I do want to wrap the console lid, and maybe Carbon Fiber some parts. I'd rather pay someone to do those.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

great job i have always contemplated doing this myself
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackedOut LS1
Big Mike do you think a couple coats of the clear will help, bc I do see it will scratch off easy, even after a good prep.
Honestly I'm not sure. I bought a spare set of door panels to wrap in leather myself. I got one finished but then found a almost entire Ebony interior. So I stopped wrapping at that point. Now I'm not sure what to do. If I finish the door panels they will be the only leather wrapped interior minus the stock Ebony dash I got. Everything else will just be Ebony plastic. I'm kinda thinking the wrapped doors only would look outta place now. So I'm back to looking for good stock Ebony door panels or painting my tan ones to match the rest of the Ebony interior. I'm just worried about scratching it up & it lookin like crap.

Quick Reply: Re-doing Interior