Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Water in my tail lights!! Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my tail lights!! Help!!!!!

I have an 01 camaro and the other day some old guy ran me down in a parking lot to tell me my drivers side brake light was out. I have smoked tail lights and fig he just could not see worth a damn so I had my wife look since he was nice about it and specific about what side and shire enough it was out.

Anywase when I pulled the light to replace the bulb I noticed a little moisture on the bulb so I turned the light up and dumped some water out. Then yesterday a buddy was following me and said it was out again. So once again I pulled it and dumped water out again!!!!!!

What can I do to fix this??? I have heard of ppl drilling holes in the bottom of the light to let the water out but me I don't want to do that because 1 that will still leave moisture in them and 2 other **** like dust can get in them also.

So what have y'all done to fix this issue???
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have that problem with the passenger tail light. I ended up drilling drainage holes in the bottom of the light - no more collected water. I couldn't figure out how to prevent water from getting in there in the first place though, which I would have preferred.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With moisture you need to dry it completely out, I had to use a hair dryer and just time to get it completely gone. Dehumidifier works if you put it and the lense under a box so it can dry the moisture out too.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clear silicone is your friend....
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Many times the joint between the front and rear part of the taillight is leaking. To fix that take the light out, dump out all the water, then use a hair dryer to completely dry out the inside of the light. Even after you think it is dry let it sit in sunlight for awhile to be sure it is totally dry. Buy some clear silicone at Pep Boys (or any good auto parts store) that is designed to seal glass. It's very runny and will seep in any open cracks on the lens. Use that all around the joint area where the reflector part of the light is attached to the red lens.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Buy new ones.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Launching!

I have talked to some People and they said to pull it apart and then rese I and to also make shure the gasket around the bile is not dry rotted. And also when you put the bulb in to put plumbers tape around the gasket. Has anyone tried either of those??
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Andrew1989
Buy new ones.
And I don't want new ones I like my stockers smoked and they still look really good. They have a very glossy finish. And since they are smoked you can not see the moisture in the tail light unless you look really hard. I just keep blowing bulbs.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not gonna lie... I have the same issue with both sides and drilling a hole in the bottom seems tempting. But I'm lazy like that.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I myself just drilled holes in the bottom of mine and that seem to have fixed my problem for the most part.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drilled 3 small holes and it fixed the problem rightaway.. you can't even see the holes unless your 2ft from the rear.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Launching!

See I really just don't want to drill holes in them I just want the water out to begin with.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Remove them and make sure 100% they are dry. Take them apart if they come apart (not sure). Use a hair dryer if you need too. Put a nice bead of clear silicone around the seal and anywhere that might leak. Let them dry well and it should take care of the issue.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this occur twice on my firebird, darkening the tail light lens on my drivers side.

After the last replacement, I opted to drill holes in the bottom. This has solved the problem.

Attempting to "seal" all areas with silicone where water could get in proved unsuccessful. If any liquid did get in, it didn't dry out and made it darken quicker.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (04-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Water in my tail lights!! Help!!!!!