Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED tail light idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED tail light idea

So, I saw this pic of an Audi A3 light, and wondered how a 4th gen Camaro tail light would look converted to LEDs just around the perimeter like it. Any one think it'd work?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen plenty of threads where guys retrofit their own custom LED setups in stock tail light shells for all kinds of cars and trucks. As long as you have the skill and patience to do the wiring, it would work.

That kind of design would probably only look good with the LT1 tails though, the LS tails are segmented and wouldn't allow the same kind of design.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I know it's do-able with enough patience. I'm curious how Audi gets that solid red line, without the individual LEDs being visible. Also wondering if just an outline would be bright enough.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the solid line. It almost acts like tubes in a neon sign. Might be a type of cover with high output led's tight enough to not show individually. Or maybe a type of halogen tube. I'd honestly like to know, it's cool looking.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the way the lens are molded which give off the solid light bar look. Same effect can be had from taking sand paper to it all it does it break up the light.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I don't need the whole solid line thing, but I would like to try this. I know how to wire up leds with resistors for 12v and all that. What I don't know is how to wire them to plug into the tail light sockets and make the turn signals work. brake lights be brighter, etc...

Anyone know of a good how-to?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be easier to have the brake lights fill in the rest of it making it brighter that way than dimming and brightening the LEDs. Dimming and brightening the LEDs will take some circuitry know-how.

For the bulb socket connection I would use a cheapo bulb, pull the glass bulb out, and voila you have a base you can put wire in. I don't have the wiring scheme offhand but I've done this before and then used hot glue to hold the wires in place in the base.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
It would be easier to have the brake lights fill in the rest of it making it brighter that way than dimming and brightening the LEDs. Dimming and brightening the LEDs will take some circuitry know-how.

For the bulb socket connection I would use a cheapo bulb, pull the glass bulb out, and voila you have a base you can put wire in. I don't have the wiring scheme offhand but I've done this before and then used hot glue to hold the wires in place in the base.
That's what I was thinking; have the tail be an outline and the brake light up the inside. Then also have the inside flash as the turn signal. Not sure to make the turn signal work though. Will it just flash by plugging it in to the turn signal socket? I know leds are weird when it come to flashing.

As for using a broken bulb, I didn't think of that. Good idea.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy blank sockets for that on ebay just search for the "bulb size" empty base. you chould wire the leds on the out side and just use factory replacement led bulbs in the taillight and wire the outsides for the running lights and use the factory lights as brake/turnsignals
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

like i did here this is a 194 empty base wired to my panel of leds.

Quick Reply: LED tail light idea