Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reliable HID kit for 98-02 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reliable HID kit for 98-02 Camaro?

I have tried doing some searches, not having a lot of luck...who makes a reliable HID kit for the Camaro? I don't want to worry about catching my car on fire, or melting the housing...if I need to replace the factory housing, fine, which one is best? I would like to bring this cars lighting up to current car specs....HID lights provide so much better night driving. I don't want some cheesy blue or purple, just a clean white light.

Who makes a quality kit?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I have really good luck w/ Canbus style ballasts. They are from a local guy i know. But they are actually the old model ballasts from a reliable place. They are morimoto ballasts. Very nice, power up quick, no flicker, nothing. Good thing is, what ever color you get is the true color. I got 6k and its almost white, very very small hint of blue, only when 1st warming up is it noticeable.

I had multiple issues w/ ddm kits, (even returned them and got 2 more sets from them, from Warranty, still had multiple issues) friends Tahoe caught on fire, melted all wiring, dont recommend them at all anymore.

Sorry, cant tell you where to get them though.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on Blackbird Lighting Solutions. I have their kit on my '00. It includes a new housing with a Morimoto Mini projector, and a full Morimoto 35 watt HID kit. Mine is 5000k bulbs that produce a great white light. And here's a link to get them.

http://www.blackbirdlighting.com/98-02camaro.php
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

We have used DDM kits with good results however we do prefer the Morimoto HID kits sold through The Retrofit Source. While you won't need to replace the factory housing to run a good HID kit, you will greatly benefit from a quality projector headlight. We retrofit stock style housings with a bi-xenon option providing excellent light output and a clean look. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. We can also bundle the headlights with a Morimoto HID kit unless you wish to source this yourself.

http://blackbirdlighting.com/98-02camaro.php

Edit: Got treed by my customer....not a bad thing . Thanks!

Last edited by BLSolutions; 07-01-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the ultimate HID upgrade a proper a HID projector setup will be the best. BLS is the a great complete kit. The Retro Source can put a kit together that would need to retro yourself or have a company retro for you. Either way BLS or TRS is your best options.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xentecs, ebay, 30 bucks, 6000k 35w, a year later and still flawless.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought so too about the Xentecs as I had a set. But compared to a real HID kit they don't hold a candle to them. Plus they aren't consistent either.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retrofit Source has alot of options for many different budgets, or you can just let Blackbirds retrofit yours for you. Don't be a D-bag ricer and put HID's in your reflector housings.

Quick Reply: Reliable HID kit for 98-02 Camaro?