Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Detailing

I'm getting ready to possibly get a small side thing going, more of a hobby, of detailing. I have some light experience in detailing but I just don't have experience in using tools like a porter cable, flex, etc. Anyone have a link to a good detail 101 site or give some feedback on what to do, how to do it best etc. I know this is subjective but what are the leading waxes, sealants, shampoos, etc. Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-detailer.html
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or autogeek.net
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

With those basic questions, you're not ready to start a business doing it. Spend some serious time reading reading reading. The other suggestions are on point. Also read extensively on Autopia.org. They even have a section on how to make money doing this.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned

Oh i don't wanna start a business, really just do it for some local friends for a little extra side cash. Nothing on a big scale by any means. Just using the porter cable to remove swirls, oxidation, is the extent of it. I may do a few cars a year besides my own.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Oh i don't wanna start a business, really just do it for some local friends for a little extra side cash. Nothing on a big scale by any means. Just using the porter cable to remove swirls, oxidation, is the extent of it. I may do a few cars a year besides my own.
I believe doing a high-skilled trade for money is a business....Doesn't have to be a big scale. Take the time to learn first, then do it right.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I agree with GoFast... you should be very hesitant to start working on anyone's car other than your own until you are at least comfortable with the machine cleaning processes. One little "oops" and you've lost money and/or friends. It really can happen that quickly with some processes. Now washing, waxing, cleaning, vacuuming, and "detailing" by hand for a nominal price might be the way to start. I think this is what you were getting at anyway. For that, the websites mentioned above are great. Also check out www.meguiresonline.com. There's a bunch of people on that site from all ranges of detailing experiences on there.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
I agree with GoFast... you should be very hesitant to start working on anyone's car other than your own until you are at least comfortable with the machine cleaning processes. One little "oops" and you've lost money and/or friends. It really can happen that quickly with some processes. Now washing, waxing, cleaning, vacuuming, and "detailing" by hand for a nominal price might be the way to start. I think this is what you were getting at anyway. For that, the websites mentioned above are great. Also check out www.meguiresonline.com. There's a bunch of people on that site from all ranges of detailing experiences on there.
Agreed...

Quick Reply: Help with Detailing