Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing stickers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing stickers

at this point...i want to remove my vinyl stickers off my car

mainy the ones in the letters PONTIAC in the back....the bird on the front....and the SLP window banner...

i want to remove them bcuz i want to get differetn set of stickers on it...and i dont wanna hurt the paint or have any problems taking it off the window....how should i go about this?...

i also have SLP badges i would like to remove that the 1st owner put on there...do they just tstick on then you just heat them peel them and take em off....then just clean it up?

any advice in the best least harmful way to remove these stickers will help....thanks guys
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used 3M adhesive remover when taking a couple stickers off my car. just squirt it on the sticker, and let it soak in, and the old glue will come up real easy. after putting that on there, just scrape the stickers on the windshield with a razorblade. as for stckers on paint, you can use the same adhesive remover, but your gonna have to peel it off with your finger, or maybe a plastic razor blade. but the 3M stuff will make it a lot easier. good luck
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I've always used a hair dryer to remove stickers. Heat up the sticker until it's pretty hot and then slowly pull it off as you apply heat to it. Usually all of the adhesive comes up with the sticker, but on really old stickers, some adhesive sometimes sticks to the paint. That's when you use the adhesive remover.

Or a cheaper alternative to the 3M adhesive remover is an air freshner called Ultra Citrus sold at the automotive dept at Wal-Fart. Works very well and fast, will not damage paint (just make sure to wash it off when your done), and leaves a fresh orange smell to boot. I think a small bottle costs less than a dollar. Im not sure how much the 3M stuff costs, but because it is from 3M I highly doubt it is less than a dollar.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A hairdryer or a heat gun, it'll heat the adhesive up and make it easier to get off then use goof off or whatever to clean the residue.

EDIT: lol this is the second time someone has beat me to the punch while I was typing
Old 04-02-2004, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

how bout the window??? will it jsut coem off?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Launching!

With the window you will probably have some residue. I have used products like Goof Off and they worked great. I took all of the badging of my trucks with it and I took the side molding off of my SS. I just peel the stickers or badges off, and try to get as much adhesive as possible. Then like said before, use the adhesive remover. Should be the same process with the window. Just make sure to use glass cleaner when you're done on the glass. And also remember that the adhesive remover will take off any wax that it touches.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Teching In

You can never go wrong with WD-40. Works like a charm everytime.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bigvic
I've always used a hair dryer to remove stickers. Heat up the sticker until it's pretty hot and then slowly pull it off as you apply heat to it. Usually all of the adhesive comes up with the sticker, but on really old stickers, some adhesive sometimes sticks to the paint. That's when you use the adhesive remover.

Or a cheaper alternative to the 3M adhesive remover is an air freshner called Ultra Citrus sold at the automotive dept at Wal-Fart. Works very well and fast, will not damage paint (just make sure to wash it off when your done), and leaves a fresh orange smell to boot. I think a small bottle costs less than a dollar. Im not sure how much the 3M stuff costs, but because it is from 3M I highly doubt it is less than a dollar.

Same here I just used a hair dryer to remove all the stickers off my car, I had several sets on there too. What I do is get a razor blad but dont scrape it off just us it to kind of pull it up. BE VERY CAREFUL. Ive never scrached the paint yet

Quick Reply: Removing stickers