Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom illumination- Exterior (All)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom illumination- Exterior (All)

This post is devoted to custom exterior lighting.

Driving with custom lighting on public streets may be illegal depending on color. Please review legal statues if you plan on using your illumination on the streets.

I have a 2000 Z28 and after seeing all the inserts available, (Crome, Colored) I was inspired to illuminate the "Camaro" lettering on the back. It took quite a while to create exactly what I was looking for.. but am happy with the product.

How to coming soon!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes awesome but illegal unfortunately, subbed for pics. BTW Props on an awesome mod!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds cool! I have the nostrils and fender vents lit red on my ta but I dont run them on the street for obvious reasons. It kinda defeats the purpose but I feel like a badass knowing I have a red toggle switch that I can flick at anytime (not really, just kidding... but the lights do add about 20 hp per led...)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for pics!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Yes awesome but illegal unfortunately, subbed for pics. BTW Props on an awesome mod!
No, its actually not illegal, depending on the color. I've been planning on doing this for a while now with a custom red LED board that will serve as my third brake light. Just need the time and a spare panel. The panel isn't a problem though, just the time. lol
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, the only color that'll get you into trouble is blue. outside of that you'll be fine

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Sounds cool! I have the nostrils and fender vents lit red on my ta but I dont run them on the street for obvious reasons. It kinda defeats the purpose but I feel like a badass knowing I have a red toggle switch that I can flick at anytime (not really, just kidding... but the lights do add about 20 hp per led...)
i wouldn't worry about that, you shouldn't have any issues. and if you do, simply turn them off and tell the officer you didn't know. you wont get in trouble for that.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
yeah, the only color that'll get you into trouble is blue. outside of that you'll be fine

i wouldn't worry about that, you shouldn't have any issues. and if you do, simply turn them off and tell the officer you didn't know. you wont get in trouble for that.
Actually, the red can get him into trouble pretty easily. Red anywhere but the rear of the car is a big no-no. Blue anywhere is as well, and green would depend on the officers mood I guess. I would just hope hes not green with envy. lol
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Default Have no Idea how to or where to begin

Looking forward to the how to, I'd love to have red or white or both? to function with my Brake Light and Reverse lights Can anyone get me started in a direction on how to? PM or post on the thread
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to an officer in my state and he said any exterior lighting that is modified on the car is considered illegal, which is bullshit. He's a friend too so he wasn't BSing me.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dabest09
I talked to an officer in my state and he said any exterior lighting that is modified on the car is considered illegal, which is bullshit. He's a friend too so he wasn't BSing me.
I suggest you read/search the Georgia State Vehicle Code. You may be surprised. Here in CA you can modify the lights, but it needs to adhere to code. The CA Vehicle Code that covers lighting, essentially is to prevent people from making their car look like it is an emergency vehicle (don't use light colors and locations that emergency vehicles use). That is how most states are.

Quick Reply: Custom illumination- Exterior (All)