Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time to start a build thread?? UPDATE progress and LOTS of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to start a build thread?? UPDATE progress and LOTS of pics.

What's up guys

Just came back from afghanistan 2 weeks ago. Found a car on craigslist while I was over there and had my dad go look at it. Turned out to be clean so I had him pick it up. Cars' a '99 TA, a4, pewter, ebony leather. Roght around 67000 miles.

As soon as the car was in my fathers garage I started ordering parts. This car is my daily driver as well as my toy. I intend to do alot of SCCA autocross events, as well as take it to the track on a semi often basis. I didn't want to go H/C/I, FI, or anything like that. My goal for the car is to have it running in the 11's in 5 months. I also want to average 20+ mpg, be semi quick at auto x, and be able to take long trips here in rainy western Washington to carve up some of these awesome roads.

Current Parts list :

TSP 1 3/4 stainless headers
TSP catted Y pipe
SLP LM1
3.5" corsa clones
LS6 intake
S3 P/P TB
!AIR, !EGR
Car will also be dyno tuned on the 27th at Finish Line performance in Illinois.
Koni 4/4 shocks
Strano Springs
Strano hollow sways
UMI dbl adj LCA w/roto joints
UMI control arm relo brackets
UMI 2 point weld in SFC
Poly MM&TM

I am getting home to Indiana on Saturday. The first week I'm back I will be installing the exhaust, lid, ls6 intake, TB, and MM/TM. The following week I plan on throwing on the shocks, springs, sways, LCAs, relos, and SFCs. I want to have it all done before I take it for the tune. I will be driving the car from Indiana to Washington state on the 1st so I want everything gravy.

Within the next 3 months I will also be buying the following:

UMI torque arm adj trans mounted
UMI torque arm relo kit
Fays2 watts Link
UMI boxed K member
upper and lower A arms
17X9.5/17X11 CCW LM20 with 315s out back

Also I will be taking off the side molding and door script asap. Still on the fence about whether or not to do the CETA. I was all for it at first but not so sure anymore. There will be alot of pictures and updates coming soon.

These are the only pictures I have right now. I will get some better ones Saturday when I get home.

Last edited by redlineracing; 09-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean car!!! looks like itll be a good build
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the new f body, and congrats on making it back to the states. I will be following you next month and starting a build of my own
Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Alright guys, finally have some time to get on here and update my build thread. I got back to Indiana on August 12th. Alot of work has been done to the car in the last month, over a week of that having been driving cross country. I didn't have much shake down time for alot of the mods. I didnt get my car tuned until 5 days before I left and shocks/springs/and sways werent on until the night before! I drove the car from Northwest Indiana to Las Vegas. Las Vegas to Santa Monica, north through Malibu and norcal, all the way up to seattle. Absolyutely awesome road trip. I had zero problems at all with the car. Performed excellently for the whole trip. The only issue was it burnt through about 3/4 of a quart over the 4,000 + trip. Averaging nearly 80 MPH for the whole time, I don't see anything to worry about there.

Mods installed are as follows:

TSP 1 3/4" stainless longtubes, TSP catted Y, SLP LM1.
LS6 intake, P/P TB, !air !egr

Car was dyno tunes by Finish Line Performance out of Illinois. The tune is perfecyt not a single issue and good power. Put down 327 RWHP with 344 RWTQ.

Koni 4/4 Shocks
Strano Springs
Strano hollow Sways
UMI dbl adj LCA's
LCA relo brackets
UMI SFC's

The suspension feels phenominal. The catted Y TSP sent me was a horrible fit. I have spent atleast 5 hours with it on a lift and with it tucked as best a possible I still have about an inch and a half of clearance. Even so, my car never scraped ONCE on the highway doing 80+ on mediocre pavement. Very very responsive and worth every penny. The Koni's and Strano's are by far the best mod I have done thus far.

Plans for the near future are a WSQ hood, forgestar f14 wheels (18x9.5 and 18x10.5 or 11"), Watts Link, Torque arm and relo kit, Upper and Lower A arms, as well as a humount, headunit, and speakers.

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. All the work was done by myself with the help of a friend. I definitely learned quite a bit along the way nd overall everything went fairly smoothly. All comments/suggestions are welcome.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sweet! can't wait for more.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet ride, you plan on doing the CETA mod?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevesfbody
Sweet ride, you plan on doing the CETA mod?
That is actually something I left out. I was initially intending on doing a semi gloss CETA, but now I don't think I am going to do it. I think the rearend looks clean the way it is, just threw the 3.5" corsa clones a few minutes ago. I am up for suggestions though.

I also purchased black overlays for the front bird side script and rear insert. I won't be using any of them but the rear insert. The side script will either remain pewter or be deleted along with the door trim.

Quick Reply: Time to start a build thread?? UPDATE progress and LOTS of pics.